Monday, August 8, 2005

Today's the day!""

"...the sun is shing, the tank is clean, and we're going to get out..."

Oh. Whoops. Sorry to steal that line. But that's how I feel.

Unfortunately, the sun is not shining. It's been raining since early this morning. We've got the leftovers still putting out a few drops. But I was able to see the most AWESOME rainbow this morning. It was so vivid. So bright!

I got up lickety split this morning to get myself ready for the day. I never have any idea how early the boy is going to wake up. But I went into 'organized Mommy' mode and jumped out of bed at 5:15am. My hair is done. Uh. Remember that I NEVER do my hair. Unless you call a ponytail or a headband fixing it? My makeup is on. Powder, liner, and mascara. Nothing complicated people. All I need to do now is change my clothes. But

"Uhhhh!!! Oh...."

Aha! The boy is up! It's 6:20am. Let the day begin!

******************************

I'm back!

The Princess is safely at school.

I just wish the school had given us more of an idea of what to expect the first day.

First, there is limited parking. Today? They had everyone wait outside until they 'officially opened' the school. So all the kids and their parents were waiting in the small front sidewalk area. Of course, many of us had to stand in the parking lot. Not the safest of situations. The director made a speech. Handed out gifts to the teachers. Then they rang the bell to start off the year. By the time we got INTO the school it was 8:15am!

We walked out kids into the classes. I helped the Princess find her cubby (it happens to be a top one). I had her find her name on one of the desks. Then we all headed outside again.

Why? Because it is the kindergarten class' responsibility to raise the flag on the pole outside of the school. We did the Pledge of Allegiance and sang "Oh Beautiful". It was nice. But by the time I got into my car with the Bear (seemingly permanently attached to my hip), it was 8:25am.

There was a little guy who WAS NOT fine with the situation. He was crying as his Mom sat him a desk. But he was dressed to adorably! He had a short sleeve plaid shirt with a tie! Oh! Just a note to myself to NEVER make the Bear wear something like that to school (unless he has to wear a uniform that is...).

Anyway, the Princess was fine. She was doing her quiet observation of everything around her. I could see her eyes dart around and could almost hear her brain thinking. She's doing exactly what I would do in a new situation. Watching. Looking. Listening. She'll do just fine.

Take a look at my big girl sporting her backpack! The next photo is when she's sitting at her spot at one of the tables.

No comments: