Friday, September 30, 2005

For me?

I really dislike shopping for clothes. That's why I live in items that I've had for years. T-shirts that I purchased before I had children. Shorts that are too baggy or too small. Shoes that have seen better days.

But today? I went shopping. For clothes. For me!

I went to a clothing store close to my house. They were having some sort of sale today (and tomorrow). The Bear and I went together. Yes. I brought my feisty little guy with me. To buy clothes!

I went to the petite section (only because I'm short -- not tiny in size) and found some slacks that were nice & simple. Streamlined. No pockets. Flat front style. I grabbed a couple different kinds. In a couple different sizes. That's right. I don't know what size I actually am. As an afterthought I grabbed a couple shirts on the way to the dressing room. More to figure out size than anything.

We got to the dressing room. The Bear sat happily on the bench with the big mirror in front of him. And yes. We did go into the extra large and roomy handicapped fitting room. I put on the largest size slacks and found them to be...too big! Yeah! I then put on the next largest size and these fit. They fit really well. I sat down on the bench next to Bear and grabbed a Teddygram from Bear's bag as I checked the fit. These were winners! Just to test myself I tried on the smallest size. And even though I could zip these puppies up? I would definitely not be comfortable in them.

We left the dressing room and made our way back to the petite section. I got a pair of black and dark brown slacks. These are pants that Clint & Stacy (from What Not To Wear) would approve of. Like I said. Simple front. Straight leg all the way down. The waistband hits just below the waist so it's not cutting in. The length was just right. The slacks will look smashing in 1 1/2 to 2 inch shoes. These are the first "nice" pants I've purchased for myself in ages. The last pants I purchased were khaki tapering in ones. Yes. Fashion faux pas. But these new slacks? I feel so much like an adult in them.

Now WHY did I buy these pants? Because I have no work wardrobe. Some of my shirts will still work but I definitely needed new bottoms. All my stuff is too small for me. My waist is much thicker now than 5 years ago. My final purchase? The two pants and two shirts! A rose colored suede long-sleeve button down and a blue/black/white vertical striped 3/4 length sleeve stretch button down.

But I do need to get some new shoes too. Since having kids I haven't worn heeled shoes for longer than a few hours. Now I need comfy shoes that'll take me through at least 6 hours. I still have my old work shoes but they are no longer comfortable. My feet are now wide. No longer comfortable in the basic medium width. Any recommendations on comfy casual work shoes?

Now that I've got a couple pair of slacks, I'm more comfortable about getting a job. I've got the start of a basic wardrobe. Pieces that'll get me through dressy offices and more casual offices. Once I land a job? I'll be off to buy a few more pieces. I do dislike shopping. But today? I had a good time. Go figure!

No comments: