Friday, September 30, 2005

The end of September [update]

I can't believe that there are only THREE months left in 2005!

Tomorrow is October. Meaning Halloween is just weeks away. Which will turn into November. Which means Thanksgiving. Which will turn into December. Which means Christmas/Hannukah/Kwanzaa (or whatever holiday you celebrate in December).

Once we hit October, the rest of the year seems like a blur.

But today? It's still September. In another hour or so, I'll be headed out to the Prin's school. The kindergarten and kindergarten/1st grade classes will be celebrating all the September birthdays. Turns out there are SIX kids that had a birthday this month.

Before going to school this morning, the kidlings and I dropped by the grocery store and picked up...CUPCAKES! We purchased 3 containers with 12 in each. There are 33 kids in total. The cupcakes are decorated in a generic fall design. No specific girly or boy theme.

The Princess was so excited about the day. I think she's happy to be able to have one more chance to celebrate her birthday. She's also excited to have all our leftover grab bag items in the classroom Treasure Chest. I'm sure the girls that attended the party will know that the stuff came from our house. Of course, the boys will be oblivious (since we did not invite them per Daddy's order - chuckle chuckle).

But I'll be headed over so I can be at the school when they start their 'party' at 2:30pm. I am not going to leave those two teachers to handle 33 kids with cookies, cupcakes, and juices alone! No way! Even though that'll mean the Bear will be in the mix....an extra set of hands is always helpful. I'll be on-guard with a containers of baby wipes to clean up those messy hands and faces.

******************

Oh my word!

We're back from school. I don't know what to say about kids these days. I guess I didn't realize how lucky I am to have the Princess. Some of the kids in her age group need to seriously develop their 'listening ears' and general manners.
"Kids. Sit down."
How many times did I hear the teacher say that?
"You guys need to sit down quietly so we know who needs drinks and treats."

Now when I said that? They sat down lickety-split. I couldn't believe that the Bear (who will be 3 in January) had the ability to sit on a bench longer than some of these kindergarten age kids. AMAZING!

But the kids all were sweet. I was squating/sitting next to the kiddy-size picnic table that I had the Bear sit down on. It was a located one foot from the garbage can. I had the wipes out. And they came in handy. Once they realized I was there, the kids stood in a small line in front of me. I'd wipe down each mouth/cheek/chin, let them wipe their hands down, and then let them throw the wipe away.

I hope the Princess remembers this birthday month. That she had an awesome party at our new house. That I was able to help out at her class celebration. I hope the kids in her class feel comfortable with me too. They're all sweet. I just know I could not handle being a teacher. The patience that one must possess to be able to handle the mood swings these young kids go through.

MORE POWER TO THE TEACHERS!

No comments: