Thursday, September 29, 2005

Don't be a monkey unless you've got the skills...

Yesterday was a good day. Busy. But good.

When the Bear ended up not napping, I had to go up and get him. Actually, I was in a full tilt RUN to him. There was the normal talking that I heard through the monitor for a long time. Then...
"MOMMY! MOMMY!"
It was in that scared voice. The voice every Mom dreads. I took off in a sprint.
"I'm COMING!"
I wanted him to know I was on my way. That I'd heard him calling for me. Needing me.

The kid? He had managed to get himself hung up. He was in the corner of the crib. He had poked both his feet between the vertical crib rails so that he didn't have anything to push up against. His arms were on the horizontal top sections of the crib. He was holding himself up by his armpits with his arms as support. He was STUCK. And he couldn't get himself free.

Oh that kid!

He ended up falling asleep 3 minutes into the drive over to pick up his sister from school. Thankfully, I was able to park in a good spot (in the shade) and leave the car & the AC running. The kindergarten gate was already open and I was able to get the Princess out of school and into the car in under 2 minutes. The little guy stayed asleep until I had to get him out of the car.

As for my interview? I felt that it went well. I felt like I was able to convey my desire for the job without being too needy. I feel that I refined what my work experience actually entailed. Reading what a person has done versus hearing what a person has done are two different things. I think I was able to convery my enthusiasm to get back to work. Back to a job that'll challenge me while still giving me the ability to drop-off and pick-up the Princess from school. The gal who interviewed me is the wife of the guy who I'll actually be working for. Yes. She works in the office but she's screening all the interviewees and taking lots of notes. I'm really hoping I'll get called in next week for a 2nd interview.

The reason I want it so much? It's in a new industry for me. It'll be a nice challenge. It's a small office so no gossiping and internal conflict to deal with. The hours are 9 to 2, so it sounds like they'll be paying me for my lunchbreak (something I'm not used to). It's an actually full-time payrate job at part-time hours. That's what I've found. Seems that employers pay less for people working part-time. It's amazing. I've read a bunch of ads and they want a person to have a bunch of tasks and responsibility...and then they pay them a low hourly rate. Ugh. If I were to ever own a business I wouldn't pay any part-time worker an hourly rate lower than what I'd pay a full-timer. That's just wrong!

Then dinner? It was fantastic. A huge slab of prime rib cooked just the way I like it (medium rare). A baked potato with EVERYTHING on it. A nice little salad with crunchy croutons. And two kids who actually colored and ate their food. Yeah!

No comments: