Friday, September 9, 2005

My first interview!

I received my first call for an interview! It's scheduled for Tuesday at 2:30pm.

What's great about this is that the employer is less than 2 miles away from my house. I'd be able to stay close to home. Close to the Bear's daycare. Close to the Princess' school. Close to the neighborhood school (since I'm the 3rd call person on their emergency cards--just after both the parents). This way I'd be available for everyone in the event of an emergency of any kind. It would be a comforting feeling to work so close to home.

The Hubs is going to have to come home early. He's going to have to watch the Bear since we've got no one to take care of him. PLUS, the Hubs will have to pick the Princess up from school at 3pm.

That'll give me time to concentrate on preparing for the interview and on selling my skills. He-he-he! I haven't thought about my work place abilities in a long time. It's been over 5 years since I worked outside the home earning a paycheck. Wow!

I've got to dig out through my files and find any performance reviews or recommendation letters. I wonder where that stuff is? It should be in the hanging folder next to my old resume information. Hmm...

What I hate about the interview process is having to SELL myself. Thinking about what I can do and advertising it to people. It's uncomfortable for me to do that. It's like I'm being...prideful. I can't think of any other word to describe what I feel during interviews. That's as close as I can get. There was a guy that I knew who had no problems talking about himself. He would pour it on. He was amazingly boastful during the interview process. Sickeningly so. But he was a great guy. He just had no problems selling himself to employers.

Do YOU feel comfortable talking about your skills during interviews?

No comments: