Sunday, October 23, 2005

Remembering balloons

Friday morning on the drive home from dropping off the Princess & the Bear, I saw a hot air balloon in the south sky. It looked so lonely. All alone. In the sky with the grey clouds behind it. The sun just starting to peak over the clouds.

It reminded me of some memories of hot air balloons.

When I lived in San Diego, there were a ton of hot air balloons. Every Friday and/or Saturday evening there would be 4 to 6 hot air balloons in the air just before sunset. These people had a business of bringing customers up to watch the sun set over the ocean. I'm sure it was a beautiful sight. I never was able to make my own arrangements to get in one of those things. But it was a wonderful sight to see.

One time I got really close to a hot air balloon. An unexpected encounter. It was a Friday afternoon. I was at home in my 2nd story condo. I happened to look out the window. I saw a hot air balloon a block away. It was maybe 20 yards above the rooftops. It was WAY off course. It was way too low also. I'm sure they had a malfunction of some kind. The balloons didn't come around our neck of the woods (about 10 miles inland). I watched. Mesmerized. I couldnt' believe that the balloon was right there! I watched as it continued to sail slowly eastward. I remembering praying that it wouldn't hit any of the homes. That it would find a safe landing zone in this huge community of homes. Then I remembered. There was a park about a mile east. I watched. And Ii watched. Finally I saw it go down. Right about where that community park was located. AH...I'm sure we all sighed in relief.

But I tell you. Hot air balloons are beautiful. They seem so serene. Have you ever been in one? When? Where? One day I hope to take a ride in one with my Hubs.

No comments: