Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Why is it harder for the parents? Or is it?

About 20 minutes ago, I dropped the Bear off at daycare.

This is the first time that anyone has taken care of him other than family. I feel amazingly guilty about it.

We prepped for it. Yesterday, we watched a video of Blues Clues where Periwinkle goes to school for the first time. This morning, I told him that he was "going to school just like Sissy!" He was agreeable about it. We'd been to the Daycare facility twice and both times he wanted to stay and play.

He seemed fine enough when we drove up to the place. He was fine when we finished up paperwork at the receptionist area. He was fine putting his lunch box into the refrigerator. He was fine dropping off his backpack in the classroom. He was fine joining all the other 1 & 2 year olds in the other class to watch Baby Einstein videos until their teacher arrived at 9am.

He was NOT fine when I decided to leave. One of the assistants (Carol) was next to me. I gave her a "look" to let her know I was going. I bent over and kissed the Bear on his head.

Me: "Bye-bye! I'll see you later!"

Bear: "Up! Mooommmmy!"

He was ready to follow me. Carol scooped the Bear up and held him. As I walked away I could still hear him crying but with less vigor.

I called the Hubs right as I was sitting at a stoplight.

Me: "I just finished dropping your son off."

Hubs: "How was he?"

Me: "He was fine...until I said bye-bye. Then he started to cry."

Hubs: "You know what? He probably will stop crying within 5 minutes or so. He'll be fine!"

Yeah. I guess so. The majority of parents in the United States go through this ritual every workday. I know. But this was my first time people! My heart is heavy. I'm sad. I left my child when he was crying! Wanting me! But the reality of it is that I have to work. And I'm sure he'll make friends quickly. It's just getting him used to the idea of going to 'school' every day will be interesting.

No comments: