Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Pick up was great...drop off was not [update]

Yesterday, I picked up the Princess from school.

Princess: "Where is the Bear?"

Me: "He's still at 'school'. I wanted us both to pick him up!"

Princess: "Was he crying when you left him there this morning?"

Me: "Yes honey. He did cry."

Princess: "Poor litte boy. I hope he didn't cry too long..."

Me: "I hope he didn't cry long either."

Princess: "I'll bet he'll be smiling when he sees us!"

Me: "I'll be he will to."

We drive on over to the daycare (aka 'school'). We walk into the Bear's classroom. They're having their afternoon snack. He sees the two of us and bolts up. He trots over and wraps his arms around me. The Princess came around and hugged us both. He looked fine. They told me the kid actually took a nap too! Halleluia!

All was well this morning too as we got ready for the day. We dropped the Princess off at school like normal. The Bear carried his lunch bag as we walked the Princess to the playground. He didn't say a word on the ride over to the school. As I parked my car, I heard him in the background.

Bear: "Home."

Me: "Oh buddy! It's time for your school!"

I get him out and we walk into the building. He carried his lunch bag in himself. He also put the bag into the refrigerator on his own (I opened and closed the door for him). As we walked into the common area, he wanted up. We walked into his classroom. I stayed there for a bit. He knew what was coming. I stayed for about 5 minutes. The gal in the room walked over & stood next to me.

Me: "Okay buddy! Time for Mommy to go."

I gave him a big hug and kiss. Then I handed him over to the gal. The crying began immediately as I pulled him away from me.

Bear: "Moooommmy!"

I walked out. As I walked away I heard the gal.

Teacher: "Honey. Mommy has to go to work. She'll be back later. Okay?"

I hope the Bear gets used to this routine of drop-off. He has too, right? It just breaks my heart to have to walk away from him.

How long did it take your child or children to get used to being dropped off at either daycare or school or a babysitter?

*****************

I forgot to mention earlier that they told me that for the first three hours the Bear was observing. Watching. Looking around. Not saying anything. This reminds me SO much of me as a kid. I'd just look and watch and see how everything worked before jumping into things. Kind of like the Princess too.

If anyone asked him a question? "NO!" That's all he would say. But once lunchtime hit, I guess he loosened up and got in the groove of the class.

I'm headed out in about 5 minutes to go pick up the Princess. Then we'll head out to get the Bear. I wonder how he'll be when we pick him up???

On the work front? I got a bunch of stuff done. I'm getting up to speed on the terminology. How this document goes and affects this process. How this report is the data for this other file. Etc and so forth. I'm getting my brain around it all. This is only my 3rd day! But you know what? I found some errors in some data files today. I went in and corrected them. Woohoo! I FIXED SOMETHING! Yeah! That feels good!

No comments: