Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Sickhouse rules

Everyone has their own set of house rules. But what are your SICK house rules?

You know. When one or two or ALL your kids are sick?

Here at our house we've only two kids. So it turns out fine when we've got sick ones. One parent to each child.

As it turns out, my son goes with my husband. And I get duty when my daughter gets sick.

Oh..yeah...we're only talking night-time duty here.

When my son is sick he sleeps in our bed with my husband. This happened 4 nights ago. As we were getting ready for bed, we heard our son over the monitor.

[sniff]

[sniff-snort]

He was inhaling his boogies! E-gads! He'd been doing it for a couple minutes when he finally let out a small cry for help.

The Hubs went up there and (lo and behold!) my son was dealing with a bloody nose.

The Hubs brought the Bear downstairs to our bathroom. He had blood streaks under his nose and on his hands. It had stopped bleeding. But he was bothered by the aftermath in his nose.

I got a fresh washcloth and wet it with some warm water. I wiped his face and showed him that his face was clean. I wiped his hands and showed him his hands were clean. I let him know that it was no big deal. Easy clean-up. But as I took a closer look at his nose I saw something peeking out. A boogie.

I was able to grasp the end of it with my thumb and forefinger. I pulled. And the Bear coughed. I pulled and pulled. The thing had to be at least 2 inches long! SERIOUSLY! It was a huge boogie with blood mixed in. No wonder the kid coughed when I pulled it out. It musta been all the way up in his sinuses!

Anyway, after the operation we decided to put the Bear into bed with Daddy. I trotted upstairs to the guest bedroom.

We all slept fitfully. My husband was amazed that the Bear sleeps like a rock. He moved very little while he slept. So I don't think my husband will complain when he's back on night sick-duty.

For the last two nights, I have been on night sick-duty.

Yes. My daughter has had a fever for the last two days. Thankfully, she had Monday off from school. But today she's home from school.

She and I have been sleeping in the master bedroom. I actually have to put a king-size pillow between us to keep her away from me. She tosses and turns normally. But this time around? She was solid as a rock when she slept. Of course, she did wake up each night when her fever got too high and she was uncomfortable. After some more acetaminphen, some cool water, and a good tucking in she went back to sleep.

We have our sickies with us because we're on the first floor and they are on the second. We'd rather be right there if they need us.

But what are your rules when your kids are sick? Do you make them sleep in their room? Or are they tucked into your bedroom at night?

No comments: