Friday, January 20, 2006

This little piggy went to market...

Pigs aren't weird. They are normal animals. On a FARM!

Out here in Arizona, pigs live. In the wild.

They are called javelinas (pronounced have-uh-LEAN-uh-s).

They are pretty ugly. Dark brown and hairy looking.

I had heard about these things but never seen one. Well, I get a glimpse of one once. But it was dead at the side of the road. You can only see so much at 50 mph also.

Anyway....yesterday. The windy day. With dust blowing. Dead bushes rolling across the road...

I was driving out to pick the Bear up from daycare when I saw some movement to my right. I was no more than 2 blocks from my house. I was passing the constrution site for the subdivision of homes they are building next to ours. I was going at about 25 mph when I saw movement to the right in the dirt area.

I slowed. I looked. It was 2 adult javelinas. AND a baby!

They were trotting along like they owned the place.

I had to chuckle to myself because I'd never seen one that close before. It was an odd sight because javelinas usually stay hidden during the day. They normally venture out only at night.

I relished in my sighting of these wild pigs. I continued to drive another couple hundred feet and saw more movement to my right. I was approaching the intersection so I slowed and peered to my right.

MORE javelinas. About 8 of them. Adults. Trotting in a somewhat straight line.

What the heck were these things doing out during the day?

Did the wind and dust disturb them from their afternoon slumber?

I couldn't help but laugh and think in my head...

"This little piggy went to market

This little piggy stayed home

This little piggy had roast beef

This little piggy had none

And THIS little piggy cried wee-wee-wee

All the way home..."

No comments: