Sunday, January 1, 2006

We got busy today!

NO you freaks! Not the mommy & daddy alone 'busy'. I'm talking about busy cleaning up around the house.

The skies opened up and the sun shown down on our house. I was NOT the only one cleaning. The Hubs cleaned too! He hauled up off his toosh and did some chores.

We did laundry. I say "we" because he started the first load of wash. Yeah. I did about 4 other loads. And got them into the drier. And put them away. But he started!

We took down all the holiday decorations. He got the kids started with the tree ornaments. I got all the lights off (since I really twisted those cords around the branches this year). I then put everything in the big plastic bins. The Hubs did not keep the colors together though. He mixed all the creams with the gold and with the burgundy bulbs.

[gulp]

I was about the get all anal retentive and get all the bulbs together in boxes with their partners, but I didn't. I let it slide. I was just glad he started to get the tree un-decorated. Once the tree was bare, he undid it all and put it in the bag and put it into the garage.

Since he was putting that huge tree bag and 6 boxes into the garage. He took the time to sweep the garage and reorganize all the boxes we've got in there. This was the FIRST time since we've moved that he's swept that place up. He even discovered a couple moving boxes that we hadn't unpacked. We've not got our cactus margarita glasses and pitcher!

AND...drumroll please!

I reorganized all the cabinets in our kitchen!

Yes. I was a crazy person and moved all the plates, glasses, sippys, and miscellaneous stuff around in our kitchen. The plates, cups, and utensils are in the cabinets closest to the dishwasher and the breakfast table. I had originally palced them right next to the pantry. But that wasn't quite working out. No one wanted to put the dishes away because we had to walk 4 steps to and from the cabinets. I designated a lower pull-out cabinet as the 'kids' stuff. There are plastic plates, bowls, and drinking glasses for them to grab themselves! It worked out fantastic this evening. The Princes was able to 'set' the table herself!

Even the pantry got a 'face lift'. I put all our emergency stockpile up at the very top of the pantry. Now those 'hands off' cans of soup and fruit and all are out of site. So we now only see the stuff we're going to use at eye level. The emergency stockpile? It's our build-up of supplies in the event that the 'bird flu' comes our way. OR in the event that Mommy and Daddy are down for the count due to illness.

So we started our the first day of 2006 on quite a cleaning frenzy. Hopefully this bodes well for our family and for our home. That we all pitch in together to get things accomplished. That we all do more to keep the house clean and tidy. Thank goodness we've got trash pick-up in the morning. Our bin is FULL!

What did YOU do this first day of 2006?

No comments: