Tuesday, January 3, 2006

A most heartfelt thanks

That is what I received today when I picked the Princess up from school.

I entered the kindergarten play area and waved to all the kids.

The teacher pulled me aside as the Princess began gathering her stuff.

"I wanted to THANK you for your gift."

"Oh....it was nothing."

"No really. I was so surprised to receive it."

"Well. My Prin really loves school and you're a big part of it. It's the least I could do."

"In my 20 years of teaching, I've never received cash."

"Well, I know that the Princess makes a lot of stuff for us at home. I can imagine all the gifts that you get FROM the kids. We wanted to give you something so that you could get yourself something."

"I did too!"

"You did? GREAT!"

"After we left the field trip, I went straight over to the pharmacy and got some Omega vitamins. I got the BIGGEST jar they had."

"I'm so glad you got something you wanted."

"With my high cholesterol...and those pills are pricey...that $20 was a blessing. Now I'll be sure to stay strong for the Princess and for the other kids."

My heart totally melted. I was so glad that she was able to get the pills that she needed. She didn't have to worry about whether she'd have enough. She didn't have to just settle for the little jar. Kind of tells you something about a teacher's salary too, eh?

Now you parents out there....do YOU give the teachers in your kids lives a monetary gift?

No comments: