Thursday, June 15, 2006

Working with not my regular equipment

Today I have had to use my personal home desktop to get my work stuff done.

Why?

My laptop has a BLACK monitor. Yeah. I know it's already black normally. But it's black when I turn ON my computer. That's right folks. A dead monitor.

I tried a couple tricks that I'd heard about. Opening and closing the screen. That worked. Once.

So right now I'm listening to musac.....while waiting for someone at "d-e-l*l" to pick up their customer line.

We'll see what happens. What we can work out. I mean it's an older laptop - an Inspiron 1150. I guess it's a bit over 2 years old. I got it already used by a couple other employees. It's definitely a hand-me-down. REALLY. Compared to some of the spiffy new models that the latest new employees got? Geez! Mine is a relic!

At least I've been able to access my work email but I don't have ALL the files that I need. The VPN that we use for work isn't working on my desktop computer. ARGH!

We'll see what happens AFTER this call.....

*****************

I'm off the call now. No resolution.

That's right. Nothing. Nada.

You know what I have to do? Call another department tomorrow.

Why?

Because MY computer's warranty expired. EXPIRED! May 12, 2006.

Did you read that? The warranty expired just over a month ago. Kind of like how a car ends up needing tons of repairs after 100,000 miles.

So tonight I'll be removing the monitor off my personal computer, which is also a Dell, and try to hook it up to my laptop. And detaching my monitor from my CPU? Not so fun. I've got to haul my CPU out of the desk and unscrew the prongy thing and all that and then push the CPU back into the desk cabinet.


But on a lighter note? I received the Lands' End kids school uniform catalog today. The clothes in there? The skirts and pants? VERY cute! I know that anything I select from there will last the entire school year and still look good. Additionally, they've got girls stuff in SLIM! Just what the Princess needs! So I'll be school clothes shopping tonight. Yeah...I know it's still summer but you parents with slender kids KNOW how difficult it is to find clothese that actually FIT in the waist and the length.

No comments: