Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Simple words to make me feel like a good mommy

Yesterday I had a nice conversation with a co-worker of mine, who I'll call Buddy.

[ring-ring-ring]
Me: Hello, X Company, this is Grace. [said in a sing-song voice while I'm typing away on my computer]

Buddy: Hey, it's Buddy.

Me: Oh hey! Long time no talk!"

Buddy: Yeah. Been busy. What's going on with you?

Me: Nothing much. Just picked the kiddos up from school. I'm trying to get caught up with emails now [said again in a sing-song manner]

Buddy: How do you do that?

Me: Do what?"

Buddy: You always sound like you've got everything under control. That nothing bothers you. You've got the kids and work and stuff....

That comment was followed by thunderous laughter on my end.
Me: You said it right. It SOUNDS like I've got things under control."
Buddy: "But it never sounds like things are bothering you. There's always work issues that crop up and then you're still able to do stuff with your kids."

Me: Well, if I can't control a problem then I just have to handle it and go with the flow, right?"

Buddy: You are such a good Mom!

So that last bit has stayed with me since yesterday afternoon. It makes me feel better. That I can still work and be a good Mom. That my struggle to balance work and my kids is worth it. Each early morning (even on the weekends) to gather data and get stuff done so that I can spend that next hour with the kids each morning as I get them ready for their day. Worth it. That even if I doubt myself....that someone else...an adult thinks I'm a good Mom.
I don't think that Buddy, who is a newlywed with no kids, will ever know HOW MUCH his comment means to me. That I'll keep that tucked away in my brain for those moments when I don't feel like a good Mom.

When has someone given you kudos for being a good Mom? Something that has stayed with you?

No comments: