Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A little health scare

Remember how I couldn't pick up my sister and BIL when they flew into town for the Princess' birthday weekend? I went to my OB/GYN "Doc E" that morning. My annual. Which I hadn't had in like 3 years. Yes. I'm bad. But moving here I just never scheduled it.

Anyway, Doc E called me today with my Pap results. Dysplasia. Abnormal cells. The level is moderate/severe.

[deep breath]

This means I have to go in and have a colposcopy. Doc E said he'll do the procedure in the office. He'll go in like a Pap but will do a little more. They put solution onto the area to determine which are abnormal cells. Then they take some sort of scope and check out the cells. To see how "far" things have gone. I do believe they also take a sample out for further testing. To determine if the cells are pre-cancerous or not. Then after all that gets straightened out they determine a treatment. Laser. LEEP. I think there are a handful of things they can do.

So I'm a bit nervous about it all. About the entire situation. I'm healthy overall. Have always been. So this is my first real health scare (other than my emergency c-section with the Princess).

Have any of you ladies had a Pap which resulted in abnormal cells?
Have you had a colposcopy?
What was the result?
Anyone ever have a laser or LEEP treatment?

Feedback would be great. Just to get me over this bit of nervous energy inside me. Thanks in advance all...

No comments: