Sunday, October 29, 2006

Peeps and poop

Yeah. It's an entry about bodily functions. No. Not mine. The Bear's. My son? He'll be 4 in January. And we're finally getting to a nice comfy 'only' night time diaper.

Well, let me clarify that. The boy has been urinating in the toilet like a trooper at daycare since February. Underpants at school since then. I finally got comfortable enough at home to put him in a pair of underpants just a couple months ago. He finally was able to TELL me that he had to urinate. "Peeps! Peeps!" That's what he says. Then he and I go to the bathroom. And I have to tell you that I have been 'pointing' his urine into the toilet. Yes. He's been assisted. But two weeks ago? I told him that he was going to do it himself. "No. No. You do it." I just grabbed his little hand and had him position his own stuff down into the toilet. My hand hovered over his in case he didn't push it correctly. But he was able to handle the job correctly. Since then he's been taking care of business on his own. I just have to hang out and help him wash his hands. "I did it! I did it!"

We've just recently been making tremendous strides in doing #2 into the toilet. You see, my little guy previously would run to me with his hand on his bum "Poop! Poop!" and want a pull-up. The Hubs has been putting his foot down this last month about it. And the kid? Decides to poop at night. Or right when he wakes up in the morning. So he's been a stinky boy in the morning. But a week ago. the Hubs placed the Bear on the toilet in the afternoon. The Princess stayed in the bathroom reading to the Bear. And he actually did a #2. We all danced. We cheered. The Bear AND the Princess (his cheerleader) got stickers. Now we're getting him into more of a routine. He's been doing his #2 right before his night time bath. When I'm giving the Princess her bath, we put the Bear on the toilet so he can sit while the girls are chatting in the bathroom. A couple mornings, he's had little bits in his night time diaper but much smaller 'deposits' than before.

But I have to tell you that he has been so proud of himself. And he knows that this latest development makes his Daddy happy. It's gonna be SO nice when he finally gets these #2's in order. And only in the toilet. I know he won't be fully dry at night for a long while. My daughter was 4 1/2 when her body finally was able to keep stay dry. She was such a heavy sleeper and wouldn't wake up. I mean, she's the first one to get to sleep and the last one to wake up during the week. So I'm expecting the Bear to be at least 5 before he's able to be 100% in underpants. But we're making progress, so that's all that counts. YEAH!

No comments: