Friday, October 27, 2006

Stay close

Since I had the kidlings, I've always been strict about certain things. One big thing with me is being safe in parking lots.

When we're out and about my kids are required to hold my hand or my husband's hand when they exit the car. When I'm out alone with the kids, they both exit from the driver's side. This way we're together on one side of the car. My daughter is usually the first one out and she waits next to the back rear tire while I get the little guy out. Then we move as a unit towards wherever we're going. When the Hubs is with us, he generally drives. So I get my girl from the right side and the Hubs gets the Bear out from the left side of the car. So we each hold one child.

My kids are not allowed to walk through parking lots alone. I don't care if they're just a step or two ahead of me. Nope. Not happening. They need to be attached to an adult. They also know they're not supposed to run around the cars. No playing around. No questions. No fighting. No complaining. Attached to a parent/adult. PERIOD.

There are parents who aren't as anal about this parking lot like me. I see this at my daughter's school during pick-up and drop-off. It drives me crazy. Just this Tuesday, I happened to park at the drop-off area. Normally, I park in the front of the school and we walk to the drop-off gate because I don't like to deal with all the cars. But Tuesday morning I saw that there were only a couple cars near the gate, so I parked. BIG mistake. By the time, I got back into my vehicle there were a bunch of cars. Out of one SUV popped 2 boys. The Mom was letting them walk across the parking lot by themselves. Then I hear her yell "Where's your backpack?" to the smaller trailing boy (who looked like was in kindergarten). He RUNS back to her car and grabs his stuff. So I can't drive because I'm afraid of hitting this weaving and bobbing kid. And other cars can't back out because this lady is blocking them in.

But we don't stop there. When I'm walking with one of the kids along a sidewalk, I'll make sure to walk on the side closest to the street. When we're going through a parking lot, I keep them closest to the parked cars. And as I walk I always look at each parked car checking for lights and drivers who are ready to back out of spaces. What's interesting is that the Hubs does this when we're alone together. He'll walk closest to the moving vehicles. He 'protects' me. I 'protect' the kidlings.

The reason I'm bringing this rule of mine is because an accident happened this week. Not with my kids. But one of the kids at my son's daycare. One of the kids in the Bear's class "got away" from the daddy and was bumped by a car leaving the parking lot. The other car was driven by another parent - not an employee. The child? A broken collarbone and a broken leg.

My heart broke when I read the letter that was distributed to all the parents. But then I thought again of my strict policy in parking lots. Totally makes sense now. Even to the Hubs who used to mock me about it. When he read the letter, he looked at me and nodded. Like he was glad that our kids were so good in and around parking lots.

So my friends and other readers.... please take care of your little ones in parking lots. Teach them the rules. Make sure they are aware that drivers don't necessarily see them. That walking close to your car is best. No running around. Make sure you hold their hands. And if they don't want to hold your hand? Put your hand around their shoulders or on their back. Keep them close. And safe.

No comments: