Wednesday, October 25, 2006

And we're off...

Hubs: We're leaving in 10 minutes.

This is NOT what I wanted to here. Last I heard we were heading out at 1pm. The football game that the Hubs and the kids were going to had a 3:30pm kick-off.

Me: What are you talking about Sweetie? We were going to leave at 1.
Hubs: No. We're leaving at 10am. The game starts at 12:30pm.
Me: What? It says 3:30 on the calendar.
Hubs: Oh. They changed the time.

That was ESSENTIAL information that I should have made aware of. I wasn't ready at all. I had showered earlier but I had not changed or put on my makeup or fixed my hair. Ten minutes? Oy! But I was able to throw on my makeup since I don't wear much. Powder, a sweep of eyeshadow, lipstick, and mascara. I pulled my hair into a ponytail and threw on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt. DONE!

The one thing I did rush was my selection of jewelry. I only wear my wedding band and engagement ring on a daily basis. So I happened to grab a pair of simple hoop earrings and my extra wedding band. My extra band was the one I wore when I was pregnant with the kids. It's a full size larger than my real wedding band. Anyway, once I got into the car I put the earrings on and pushed the ring onto my right middle finger.

BIG MISTAKE.

When we got on the freeway, I felt an unusual amount of pressure on my finger. My right middle finger. I tried to pull off the ring. And it wouldn't budge past my knuckle. I tried about 5 times. Each time it would get stuck and make my finger turn all red.

Me: Honey. Stop at the first gas station next to the freeway.
Hubs: Why? What's wrong?
Me: I think my ring is stuck.
Hubs: What? Your ring?
Me: Yeah. Look at my finger!

I put my hand up towards him. And it was indeed more swollen than normal. We thankfully stopped at a gas station a couple minutes later and I shot out to the ladies bathroom. I wet my hand down and pumped a bunch of soap onto my right hand. I pulled and tugged. And tugged and pulled. I felt it stopping at the knuckle each time. But it HAD to come off now or else it would have to be cut off. So I tugged one more time and twisted the ring at the same time and willed it over my knuckle. I could feel my bones being pushed. I hurt like nobodies business. But it came off. FINALLY. I rinsed off my hands and ran triumphantly back to the car.

Hubs: Did you get it off?
Me: Yes. But look at my finger!

My poor finger. It was red. It was swollen. I felt like it was all bruised. But now it could "breathe". AND we didn't have to visit Urgent Care! YEAH!

Now what's the funniest thing that has happened to YOU when your spouse or significant other has rushed you?

No comments: