Saturday, November 11, 2006

Fascination

My son has one obsession. What is it? Hair. LONG hair. Since my Bear was a baby, he's like to twirl my hair between his fingers. As I fed him, my hair would normally go forward and he'd reach out for it. He'd twirl it and comb his fingers through and reach for more hair. He doesn't just twirl, he'll try to reach as far up near my head with his thumb and pointer finger and pull towards the ends.

Now as an almost 4 year old, he still is fascinated with long hair. When I cuddle with him on the couch, he reaches up for my hair (even when I've got it in a ponytail). If he's not positioned so he can reach up to play with my hair, he'll rearrange himself so he can sit and absently twirl and pull.

Today at lunch, the Bear and his sister were sitting next to each other in the booth. The Bear had finished his quesadilla. The Princess was chattering away with me and the Hubs. The Bear noted that his sister was next to him and turned to her. And busily started to twirl and pull her hair in his hands. My girl? She ignored him. She let him do his thing. You see, when they cuddle together he'll twirl her hair like he does with me.

And if I've showered? Oh my goodness! He just HAS to come sit next to me and touch my wet hair. HAS TO. If he's sitting next to me and I get up, he'll follow me to make sure he can continue pulling.

My son likes long hair. My nephew likes to rub earlobes when he's cuddling. Now does your child have a fascination that first stemmed when they were babies?

No comments: