Thursday, February 8, 2007

I'm a bit confused on the focus here

Yes. I get lost in the conversation sometimes. I can't hide that fact. But why are people focusing on the ONE side of what this new vaccine can do? The sexual side?

Texas has had a bit of drama because Gov Rick Perry wants all girls age 11 and 12 to get the new vaccine which guards against the human papillomavirus (HPV).

Some folks are focusing on the cost of the vaccinations ($360). And it's not just the cost of the vaccine, which must be administered 3 times - once every 2 months, that costs. It's the pediatrician/doctor visit that's an out-of-pocket expense as well. Our co-pay is $30, so that'd be $90 from my wallet.

And people are saying that there are is a HIGH percentage of those in Texas that are uninsured. So who will have to pay for the vaccination for those families with no insurance? I guess that burden would fall to the tax-payers.

Then there is a group of folks who are focusing on the fact that they think this immunization would result in more sexual activity for girls. That since two of the types of HPV that this immunization guards against are related to genital warts.

Here's some info I found about the vaccination:
....may help guard against diseases caused by HPV Types 16 and 18, which cause 70% of cervical cancer cases, and HPV Types 6 and 11, which cause 90% of genital warts cases.
....Cervical cancer is cancer of the cervix. Cervical cancer is caused by certain types of HPV. When a female becomes infected with certain types of HPV and the virus doesn't go away on its own, abnormal cells can develop in the lining of the cervix. If not discovered early and treated, these abnormal cells can become cervical precancers and then cancer.

For those of you who read regularly, you know that I've had to face some female issues. I had an abnormal PAP late last year. I had to go back in for a colposcopy. This is where they look at my cervix under a high power scope. They found abnormal cells on my cervix. So they had to take a biopsy to test the extent of the abnormal cells. The results of this test were low. That I didn't have a high level of abnormal cells. Thus, I had to scheduled a 3-month recheck PAP. I just went in last week for a follow-up. It'll take about 2 weeks to get those results. If there are abnormal cells again? I'm going to get a LEEP procedure scheduled. This is where they basically remove layers of the section where the abnormal cells are found. Then I'll have a 3 or 6 month follow-up PAP.

All in all, this has been a VERY nerve-wracking experience for me. The waiting. The wondering if something is wrong.

If this vaccination was available when I was 11 or 12? Looking back now at my stress level and all that I've been through recently? I would definitely have asked my Mom to make sure I got it. Because for me? I wouldn't have read it as a "green light" to have sex. I'd see it as a possible way to prevent my body from being able to "get" the high-risk forms of HPV. Because even though the HPV clears in some women, it doesn't in others.

Most women do have an abnormal PAP result sometime in their life. Some women have to go through the route I've had to go through. Some women end up with cervical cancer. And it this immunization will help prevent my daughter from getting some of these high-risk HPV strains? I'm going to allow her to get it. And that's what I'm going to explain to her if she asks what it's for. That it's a shot that'll help prevent her from getting a certain type of virus that sometimes causes cancer.

But that's MY OPINION folks. That's what I think about it. This is what my husband and I feel is going to be 'best' for our daughter. You can decide for your daughter(s). And if you don't agree with the immunization? OPT OUT of it. There's a process - like with all other immunizations - where you can opt NOT to have your child receive it.

Now what were YOU thinking when you first heard about this new immunization? Good idea? Bad idea? What did your mind focus on?

Okay.... now I've got that off my chest. Whew! Now onto lighter topics I'm sure....

No comments: