Monday, February 19, 2007

When vacations don't synch up

It causes havoc for most families. You know what I'm talking about. When the kids have a day off and you don't?

Today is Presidents' Day. The post office is out. The banks are closed. The stock market is not active. So this means my husband actually has a day off! As do many other parents. Woohoo! But my daughter? NOT! My daughter is in the 1st grade and she does not have Presidents' Day off. Nor do most kids in our city. The kids in our city have Thursday and Friday off.

Thursday and Friday? Wait. What? Why? The kids in our city have those two days off for what is called "Rodeo Days".

There is a BIG rodeo that comes into our city and it's a huge deal. There's even a parade happening on Thursday morning.

So my girl will off of school on Thursday and Friday. Thankfully, I'm going to be able to take Friday off. Thursday will be a stay-at-home play day for the Princess. Videos. DVDs. Creating a farm with her dollhouses, farmhouses, horses, and all. I mean, it's pretty easy for us to organize.

But what about all those other families out here? I know a few of my neighbors who are quite IRKED by this old hang-over bit from the farm days. They've got to burn a vacation day after they've already taken a day off.

Can you believe that the city still has these kinds of vacation days for our school age kids?

No comments: