Thursday, March 1, 2007

Konking out

I'm tired today.

We're changing servers - you DBAs and computer savvy folks know what this entails. I've known this change was coming and thought that our Senior Management guy had a handle on it all. That he had a plan and he'd convey any 'special' needs to us so that we could plan. Boy was I wrong!

I was on a conference call yesterday and found out that Senior wanted to 'turn off' our current box at 2pm. Some of our normal processes take all day to run. So I ended up coordinating with one of my people to come in early (3am Pacific). This way we'd have a fighting chance at getting the daily processes completed. So last night I went to bed around 10pm only to be awakened a couple times by the Bear who settled himself in the toddler bed in our bedroom. Then I was up at 3am Pacific. The normal processes today? Didn't go well. We ended up shutting down the box with 2 still pending. The box went down, the DBAs did their magic, and the box was back on around 5pm. And one of my people is still working at finishing those 2 processes.

And this madness continues tomorrow. We have to rerun the 2 processes on the new box, which will hopefully be on at 5am Pacific. Then my people need to run all the normal stuff they'd do AFTER those 2 leftover items are done. It's going to be a LATE, LATE day tomorrow again.

So I was bone tired after dinner. I sat with the kids on the couch as they watched Jeff Corwin and I konked out. Sitting there on the couch with one kid in each arm. KONKED OUT STONE COLD! I felt my son twirling my hair. I felt when my daughter bounced off the couch and started practicing her dance moves. But I was too tired to open my eyes. I can so totally sleep with the kids playing around me. Can you? The Hubs can't. He has to have a relatively quiet space to take a nap. That's why he hides out in the guest room if he wants a real nap. Or he lays down with the Bear when the Bear takes HIS nap.

But I can also sleep in the car with no issues. Always have been able to. When I was kid, we'd drive down to a church about 30 minutes away from our house. I would fall asleep as we drove to church every Sunday. I would fall asleep as we drove home after church too. What's crazy? Is that as we took our normal route home, I'd know when to 'wake up' by the specific shifts and bumps the car would make. Actually, if we went anywhere further than 15 minutes away I'd generally take a snooze in the car. When I took my first couple of drives out to Phoenix with my boyfriend/husband, I would be asleep most of the way. I could NOT help it. I wasn't driving so I'd naturally get groggy. But now I help drive so I'm awake most of the time. Even when I'm driving, the Hubs has a difficult time taking a nap.

And on a plane? No problems sleeping there either, especially if I'm in a window seat. I put my jacket, sweater, sweatshirt as a pillow against the seat/window and I can drop off. When I was consulting (and had long/crazy workhours) I was logging some serious air miles. I would be able to fall asleep during the taxi from the gate. I mean, the plane wasn't even off the ground yet and I'd be passed out. Is that crazy? I don't think so. Because I was T-I-R-E-D! And here in again...the Hubs has issues falling asleep on a plane. Maybe it's because he used to be an aviator and he had to stay alert the entire flight. But man! He hasn't done that in over 10 years! He needs to learn to relax!

I remember when I was a junior and I had a math class for 5th period (right after lunch). I used to sit next to the wall and fall asleep during the beginning/lecture part of class. What's funny is that the rest of the kids who sat along the wall would do the same. We'd all be facing the wall snoozing. But we'd wake up for the in-class discussion/work time. Our instructor didn't have any problems with us sleeping either. Because the entire group of us snoozers all received high marks in the class. So what's to complain about? He could concentrate his instruction to the kids who didn't understand the material. I know there are a lot of teachers out there. But seriously. Were we wrong? I mean he never said a word to any of us. He was a cool dude. And we wouldn't have continued to do it if he brought it up to us. But we were tired!

Now how about you all? Can you fall asleep on the couch as your kids play around you? Can you fall asleep in a car? Can you fall asleep on a plane? Sleep. Sleep! I try to catch it when I can! And now? I'm going to sleep. It's only 9:30pm.....

No comments: