Friday, March 2, 2007

Exercise Check-in Week1

So it's the end of the first week of my Summer Challenge! My commitment to my internet pal Summer was to drink 40oz of water per day and exercise 3 times per week.

My daily water consumption was met 6 out of 7 days. The only day I didn't meet it was Saturday when I was out and about with the family. I didn't bring my water jug with me and just plain fell flat on my commitment. But I realize that happens with any kind of life change. On Sunday, I renewed my resolve and got back to drinking. The rest of this week has seen daily consumption of between 48 to 80 ounces. My body is adjusting to my larger pure water intake. I'm having to visit the 'facilities' more often. I think my body is purging more impurities too. I've broken out a little bit on my chest. But it's clearing up nicely so no worries.

And I have revised my exercise commitment. I am now planning on exercising 4 times per week. I'm now on a schedule of Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday. This way I won't feel guilty not doing anything on Saturday and Sunday when we're all home. Good, right?

Last Friday, I did a soft workout. It was a 2 mile walk. It was one of those walking videotapes, so I did it in 30 minutes. I could tell that my body wasn't used to moving for longer than 15 minutes. I had to push myself to walk with purpose. I mean I can stroll no big deal but that work-out walk? I had to work for it. Thankfully, I did do that soft workout because the next day my body did ache just a smidge. Just from walking! But I haven't worked out regularly since before my daughter was born. So it's been a while.

Monday I did a more aggressive cardio tape. Jumping jacks. Running in place. Kicking. Boxing movements. I had to MOVE IT! But I made it through the tape. I kept moving. Didn't stop unless the guy told me to. I just did things more slowly at times. This way I wouldn't burn out.

Tuesday I did a sculpting tape. Used some 5 pound weights. It was good. Did some should, back, bicep, tricep, and hamstring work. I couldn't do the 15 reps like they wanted me too. I did from 8 to 10 reps for each exercise. But at least I kept at it.

On my rest day on Wednesday, I definitely needed to reset. My body ached. So I definitely needed to take a day off. It wasn't a bad feeling though. It was that GOOD ache that your body had a good workout. It was that good ache where you know your body was challenged. That good ache where you know your body was healing and getting stronger.

Thursday I did the cardio tape again. And I could totally tell that my body was adjusting. I could do my movements more vigourously without feeling winded like I had on Monday. I could keep up better. AH! I was getting stronger already. My balance was significantly better as well. When I did my sidekicks, I didn't have to concentrate so much at keeping my balance. I could just do the sidekicks so that was good.

Today (Friday), I did the sculpting tape again. I could actually do more reps (15 this time for most exercises). So I was stronger! I even actually broke out some 8 pound weights for a couple exercises. I was able to do 21 pushups today too! I struggled with those last 5 but I pushed through it and finished. I was amazed that I was able to.

So overall it's been a good week. I know I'm going to ache tomorrow. But it'll be a good ache. I may do a 2 mile walk tomorrow but then again I may just play with the kidlings. Don't know. But at least I got 4 workouts in for this first week. I'm not going to weigh myself this week or take any measurements. I'm going to do that next week. More time for my body to change. I'm just happy that I can already feel my body getting stronger. STRONGER! Woohoo!

No comments: