Monday, April 30, 2007

And what happened to you this weekend?

Usually Mondays are fill-in the blanks for most people. You go to work. Hang out at the coffee-maker and exchange "So what'd you do this weekends" with all who're gathering strength as the caffeine hits their bloodstream. Typical for most people, right?

Alas, I work from home. And my "fill-in the blank" story today comes from daycare.

I was giving my ritualistic good-bye kiss to the Bear when one of the gals in his class came up. Fine.

Classmate: Ya wanna know wha hap'end?
Me: What honey?
Classmate: My Mom ran over my Dad.
Me: Really? Is he okay? [thinking she was exaggerating]
Classmate: There was A LOT of blood!
Me: I hope your Dad is feeling better honey.

I had directed my voice at a teacher who was standing nearby. I looked at her. The teacher nodded. My eyes widened. I walked over to her.

Me: The Mom ran over the Dad?
Teacher: It was actually the Grandma that ran him over.
Me: I thought she was just joking with me.
Teacher: No. She was actually telling the truth. Can you believe it? Makes me appreciate my family.
Me: Wow. Me too.

I can't believe the little girl (who is 4) was just revealed that to me. Something so personal. Family drama. Like it was nothing. Maybe she told me because I'm so familiar to her. This little girl sees me drop the Bear off and pick him up every day.

Now if something like this or any kind of weird drama happened in YOUR family, would your kids tell the adults/friends they know?

No comments: