Friday, July 13, 2007

I see them one way

...but other people see them differently.

We went out to dinner tonight. An early dinner. Around 5:30pm. Only to Chili's. No fine dining with the kidlings yet. No. Not yet. We only go places where young children fit in. Chili's. Applebee's. Steak houses. And we always go early, so as not to disturb couples out on dates.

Anyway, we were there drawing and coloring. Occupying the kidlings while we waited for our food. At one point, our waitress came and asked how things were going. I chatted with her for a moment and the Prin started talking to me. I looked at the Prin and raised my eyebrow. Then I finished what I was saying to the waitress. Once the waitress left, I turned to the Princess.
Me: Prin. I was talking to the nice lady and you interrupted us. That wasn't very polite.
Prin: I needed to tell you something.
Me: Next time, please wait until I finish talking to people before interrupting.
Prin: OK Mom.
She and I went on talking and eating. I don't think either one of us thought anything of it. Not until the end of our meal. The waitress came to gather the signed bill stub and turned to me and said in a low voice.
Waitress: I wanted to tell you that your kids are some of the best behaved kids I've seen.
Me: Thank you.
I didn't even realize it until later that she probably had heard me earlier when I talked to the Prin about being interrupted.

I guess I saw a behavior that required attention. But the waitress saw two kids who were not loud and acting up. Amazing how differently we see our children than others.

No comments: