Thursday, August 16, 2007

Freaking pigs!

When I left yesterday to pick up the kids, I noticed that the two pots that held my newest flowers didn't look as "full" as I'd remembered them.

The original flowers that I placed in the two pots died about a month ago. I had put in about 4 plants into each pot. But 4 weeks ago? They were crispy. Dried up. GONERS! There was no recover for them. At. All. So I tore them out and dropped in 2 plants each. One small bushy type plant with teeny-tiny purple flowers. One that was basically iceplant with bright flowers.

This entire month, the new plants have been doing fabulous. They sat next to our 1-car garage. We'd water them every other day. It was great to see the flowers blossom. The iceplant would continually generate flowers. Once some flowers were dried up, more would generate. It was nice. I felt like I had a green thumb.

But yesterday when I came home with the kids, I went in for a closer inspection. The iceplants were smaller. AND there were pieces of it all over the ground! Pieces of my iceplant. On. The. Ground! Something had chewed up my plants! I suspected a bunny rabbit. The Hubs? He suspected it was a javelina. By the amount of material on the ground, I think the Hubs was right. That darn pig-like creature!

So now? I'm going to have to put my pots up on the shelf area beside the 1-car garage. Up high so none of the local creatures can tear my plants apart again!

No comments: