Monday, August 20, 2007

Put on a happy face...

[dripping with sarcasm]

About 2 months ago, the Hubs lets me know that his sister will be in town twice in August. One night she wanted to meet for dinner. The next time she wanted to spend the night. She had a few business meetings scheduled down here. Okay. Fine.
Me: What are the details? When?
Hubs: Don't worry about it Bunny. I'll let you know.
It's August.

Last Friday was when we were schedule to have dinner with her. On Wednesday, the Hubs spoke with his sister.
Hubs: We're going to meet her at Chili's at 6:30pm for dinner.
Me: Isn't that kind of late?
Hubs: Well, give the kids a late snack after they come home from school. They should be fine.
Okay. I decided I'd be flexible. Friday/Late snack/Late Dinner w/SIL -- that's what the post-it said. The post-it that I put on my desk to remind me.

Friday afternoon. 3pm. [Ring-ring]
Hubs: Hi my love.
Me: Hi Sweetie, what's up?
Hubs: Um. I just got a call from your sister-in-law.
Me: What?
Hubs: She wants to change the time to 5:30pm.
Me: Okay. Fine. That's a better time. I'll see you there.
The kids and I make it home from school around 4:45pm. Just enough time to go to the bathroom. Empty backpacks. Look at papers. Get fresh outfits. Wash their faces. Comb the Princess hair. I stuff a bag of crayons and some paper into my purse/backpack and we were out.

As I'm parking the car in the boonies, I see the Hubs walking along the sidewalk next to Chili's. As I try to get the kids unpacked from the car and get a hold of their little hands, my cell starts to ring. It's the Hubs. Yes. He's got his own "ring". I ignore it of course as we're walking up to the restaurant. We walk in and the kids run to the Hubs.
Hubs: Uh. Your sister-in-law isn't making it tonight.
Me: What????
Hubs: She just called. She won't be able to get here until 6:30pm.
So we end up not seeing her. I guess her meeting ran late. On a Friday night. And she didn't bother calling the Hubs until the time we were supposed to meet her for dinner. How rude is that?

It's 6:40pm Monday night and she's supposed to spend the night tomorrow. She JUST called the Hubs 10 minutes ago to confirm that she is going to be here. She calls the night BEFORE to confirm? WTF?!?! I didn't wash any linens for that guest bedroom. I didn't wash our guest towels. I haven't even swept or dusted or cleaned the bathrooms. She is going to have to deal with our dirty house. BECAUSE she did not call to confirm until just 15 minutes ago. BITCH! Like we don't have kids. Like we don't have jobs. Like we don't have anything better to do than roll out the red carpet for her arrival. Yeah....right....

God.... I HATE my husband's family! Just another notch on the stick on why I don't like them.

****updated****

Okay....HATE is too strong a word. It's a word I don't like to use. But as I was writing last night, I was too wrapped up in my feelings and it came out. I seriously have issues with my SIL & MIL but I tolerate them. They are just not the kind of people I would normally ever associate with.

Before we went to bed last night, I asked the Hubs what time his sister would be coming over. 7 o'clock. But most likely she'll be late. She's notorious for being late (just like my BIL). The last time she spent the night, she was over an hour late. By the time she got to our house, the kids were in bed. She bought herself a late dinner (Mickey Ds) and commenced eating when she got here. She sat in our formal dining room. And placed her giant soda on my white linen runner. She used the runner for a coaster. Ummm...did I mention it was white? Anyway, we get the kids ready for bed at 7:30pm. They're in bed by 8pm. Why so early? Because that's the only way we can get them up at 6am and out the door by 7am. So my SIL will see the kids MAYBE for an hour tonight and MAYBE an hour in the morning.

Her work associates? They're staying at the La Paloma. A fancy shmancy resort hotel. It's a beautiful place. I've been there for lunch once. It's a top notch place that I could never afford.

But I'll "put on a happy face" for the duration of her short stay. It's not really going to be a visit. More like an inconvenience.

No comments: