Monday, August 27, 2007

You want me where? When?

Around 10am today, I got an email. I didn't read it as I was in the midst of something.

I then received an IM telling me to check out the email.

Okay. Okay. I get it. I need to read the email.

Apparently, the powers that be want to have meetings this Wednesday and Thursday. From 8:30am to 6pm each day. Uh. Okay. I touch base with my boss and he says that I don't need to attend Thursday but he hopes I'd be able to swing Wednesday.
Me: I'll talk to the Hubs at lunch. I'll let you know.
Boss: Also, you're going to have to make your own travel arrangements.
Me: Okay. Thanks for letting me know.
I email the Hubs at 11am. He doesn't respond. I twittle my thumbs and then call him at 12:30pm.
Hubs: They certainly gave you lots of notice. [sarcasm dripping from his voice]
Me: I know. But they said I'd only have to go up for the Wednesday meetings. Can you handle the kids for at least all day Wednesday?
Hubs: I'll forward your email to my boss. It should be okay. Just make your travel arrangements and I'll work around that.
Me: Okay. I'll get the flights made and forward them to you.
I check flights for Wednesday. There's nothing early enough that'll get me into the offices before 8:30am. This means flying up on Tuesday night. Ugh. And since I'm not staying for meetings on Thursday, I'm flying home Wednesday night. This results in the smallest break in routine for the Hubs and the kids. But this means a long couple of days for me.

After I'd made all my flight arrangements, I hear from the main office that I'm going to need to arrange a shuttle to get me into town. My flight arrives so late that the taxis are normally gone by then.

Then an hour after I made my hotel arrangements, my boss IMs me the link to a hotel that he and another guy are staying at.
Me: Thanks for the link. I already made my reservation at the hotel.
Boss: You did?
Me: Yes. I thought that location would be the most convenient to the office...
Boss: Okay. Good.
So I'll be out of town and out of touch for a couple days. Oh fun! Tomorrow after I drop off the kids, I'm going to have to pack for the one night. And I'm going to have to bring this giant laptop with me too. I seriously hate traveling with a laptop!

No comments: