Sunday, August 26, 2007

A reality check for me

I was expecting my monthly visitor on Wednesday night. It didn't show up.

I waited all day Thursday. It didn't show up.

I felt weird. I felt tired. Hmm...Could I be? I couldn't be. Are you getting what I'm trying to say?

For most, this kind of lateness would be a joyous tension. A lot of people look forward to this. But me? At this point in my life. In our lives? I don't know if we could handle it. The kids are older. The Princess is almost 7. The Bear will be 5 in January. We're at that point where we can go places without having to lug stuff with us. Just grab our keys, some bottled water and go. Both kids walk everywhere we do. At the grocery store they do ride on the outside of the cart but that's a grocery cart. EVERY kid likes to hang off the grocery cart!

Friday morning, my visitor still hadn't show up. STILL! I was a bundle of nervous energy. I couldn't keep it to myself. As I chatted with the Hubs alone in the office before he headed to work I was snitty.
Me: When are you going to make that appointment to get fixed like your Dad?
Hubs: Uh...never!
Me: Why not? I had the kids. TWO C-sections.
Hubs: And?
Me: What? What do you mean? Hrmph....would it change anything that I MIGHT BE PREGNANT?
I stalk off. Yeah. That's how I left him. His eyes bugged out in shock. A few minutes later, he tracked me down as I got dressed in our closet.
Hubs: So, what's going on?
Me: I'm late. Really late for me.
Hubs: When were you due?
Me: Wednesday night.
Hubs: And now it's Friday.
Me: Exactly.
So he left for work. I dropped the kids off at school. I went to the grocery store and picked up a test. I took it right when I got home. Negative. But still no visitor. I started working. Got wrapped up in all the issues.

And then at lunch? My visitor came. [sigh of relief]

I have to tell you that I'm relieved. It was a real reality check. It got me thinking about our life. We have our two that keep us busy and happy. Some parents can handle a bunch of kids. But the Hubs and I? We're content with our two kidlings. They're enough for us.

The Hubs has YET to make an appointment to get fixed up, but I think it's now deeply seeded into his mind. That he needs to take care of business for once. I carried the kids. I've done the birth control since we met. It's now HIS turn to take part. I mean, without protection? He and I are fertile. Seriously fertile. We got pregnant with our first in 2 months -- although pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. Then we got pregnant with the Princess less than 8 weeks after my miscarriage. We weren't even trying. I hadn't even had a visitor yet and we got pregnant. Then with the Bear, we had just decided to try and we got pregnant that first month we tried. So yeah, we're a very fertile combination.

But are YOUR husbands' fixed now that you've had your kids? or do you plan on getting your tubes tied? or do you plan on having as many children as you'll be able to blessed with?

No comments: