Monday, September 3, 2007

This weekend fun

We drove up for the day/night on Saturday.

The Hubs finally was able to get a REAL suit. The last suit he purchased off the rack about 10 years ago. It was time for him to get a new one. By REAL suit, I mean one that he actually got fitted for. Yes! He tried on a couple different jackets for the rep to determine which one fit him the "best". Then he tried on a couple pair of slacks. Then he got pinned! Next, we headed to another store and he selected two pair of flat-front slacks. These are my favorite style on him. But he likes the pleated style. I'm so happy he's going to have a couple pair of flat-front ones now. They'll just emphasize how up-and-down he is. Meaning how slender he naturally is. And it'll just make him look taller and modern.

It was a great time. I know my husband is accomplished. His career has developed so much and he's such a handsome man. I know this. But getting professionally fitted for a suit and a couple pair of additional slacks is just another indicator that HE himself could see how far along he is.

We had dinner with my ILs and SIL on Saturday. My SIL was late. Last of the group to show up. We had already been seated. The Bear's seat had him facing the front desk. He saw my SIL walk in.
Bear: TIA! We're right HERE!
Yes. He yelled to her when she walked in. I quickly put my hand over his little mouth so he couldn't yell anything else. My eyes were wide open as I looked from the Bear to the Hubs. I was mortified. But I hoped that my reaction conveyed to the rest of the folks around us that the yelling wasn't something I didn't think was appropriate.
Me: Inside voice please.
But what's crazy about it is that my MIL and SIL both were using their nightclub voices -- more than a few decibels above the appropriate conversation level. The Princess was sitting between my SIL and myself and I felt like my SIL was yelling. I could probably hear her if I was 10 feet away. THAT is how loud her voice was. I'm sure the table behind her could hear every single word she uttered.

I then dropped the Hubs and the kids off at the stadium. First home game for the Hubs' alma mater. I didn't go. The Hubs only has 3 season tickets. The kids always have a good time at the games. They transfer between the Hubs and my SIL. They always get their faces painted. They always get to drink lemonade and eat popcorn. They always look around for the mascot.

Me? I kept myself busy. I didn't feel left out. A few hours alone to do whatever I wanted? Hoorah! I decided to go down to my favorite mall that is located close to where we used to live. I took a couple extra minutes and drove by our old house. The current owners painted the exterior a darker color, as did the other 2 neighbors next door. What I found interesting is that the rest of the yard was still the same. All that they did was add some accent lights along the river rock we laid down. The place holds so many memories. It was the first house the Hubs and I purchased together. It was where the kids were conceived. It was the first home that the kids ever knew. The place where both kids learned to walk. It was nice just stopping in the street and looking at the house. And remembering those memories.

After that I drove over to the mall to buy the Hubs a couple more birthday gifts (Yes...that's why we got him that suit and couple pair of slacks). Of course, I HAD to purchase a couple things for the kids -- a couple fall jackets. I couldn't help it. It's going to turn cold before I know and they both don't have anything that'll fit for this coming season. For me? Nothing. I just went to watch the Bourne Ultimatum. It was a movie that the Hubs would never want to watch, so I took the opportunity to watch it alone. I don't care what the critics say. I enjoyed the movie. It tied in with the end of the 2nd movie. It put some closure into the story. What I didn't think was necessary was to have Julia Stiles back into the movie. Don't get me wrong. It was nice seeing her but her character didn't need to be in this one, you know?

Anyway, I headed out of the theater and immediately started driving up towards the stadium. I called the Hubs as I got onto the main road.
Hubs: Hello?
Me: Hey. It's me.
Hubs: Where are you?
Me: I'm headed towards Rural.
Hubs: Great. I was just going to call you to come on up and get us.
Me: Oh good. I'm on my way.
I moved quickly up the street but got locked up in traffic as I hit the area around the stadium. For some oddball reason, they had the 3-lane street streamlined down to one lane. Uh. Crazy? Yeah. It was a mess. I ended up sitting at this one location for 10 minutes. As I came over the ridge, I could see the gas station where I was supposed to pick them up from. And I could see the Hubs.
Me: Hey.
Hubs: Where are you babe?
Me: Turn around and look at the white and green sign. As you look at that sign there's a white truck with it's blinker on. I'm right behind him.
Hubs: Oh, I see you.
Since I was stuck in traffic, he got the kids and walked up the car. They got in and I BLASTED the air. I knew they were hot. And apparently they were sticky from the lemonade. I tossed the bag of wipes to the Hubs and he got them cleaned up. What's funny is that once they were strapped in, the traffic finally let up so we could get over to a cross-street. And we headed to the hotel we were spending the night in. The Bear fell asleep within 2 minutes of me driving down the street. He was OUT! It took the Princess about 10 minutes to konk out. But what's funny is that once we got to the hotel and opened the doors, the Bear was up like a SHOT! Once the car light turns out, the kid is awake. Not one ounce of drowsy. So he (thankfully) walked into the hotel. And he was chatty too! He's too funny. Unfortunately, the Princess is a cranky monster when she wakes and the Hubs has to carry her the entire way. She's all arms and legs, so I'm glad the Hubs was carrying her.

We all had showers once we got into the hotel. I ended up getting INTO the shower with each of the kidlings. Did I tell you that they both shower now? But they still need help with their hair and getting all their body parts. So in the bathroom at our house it's easy. They get into the tub and use the shower curtain to protect myself. But the hotel? They had a separate tub and shower. And it was a large glass enclosed shower. So there was no way I could help them unless I got in. No biggie. Now what do YOU parents do when you're at a hotel? How do you bathe your kids?

It's been a good couple of days. The Hubs got his football fix. The kidlings got to see the ILs and my SIL. And I got some quiet time. YEAH!

There WILL be more going on next weekend as we'll be attending a wedding. The Hubs' gal cousin's wedding. She is going to marry the father of her 12-year-old daughter. Yeah. JUST marrying him now. It'll be first time in about almost 10 years that my FILs clan is going to all be in one location. There's a lot of background drama that has occurred. We'll see if any of it comes to a head on Saturday. Family....whatcha gonna do? Roll with the punches. Hopefully there won't be ANY punches though....

No comments: