Monday, October 8, 2007

Food habits

I was making the kids some sandwiches just now and realized something. I ALWAYS bypass that first slice of bread. The piece that I call the "butt". As far back as I can recall no one in my family eats that first "mostly crust" piece of sandwich bread. We always would end up with the first and last slice in the bag. Always. But on French bread? We all want it. Why? Because it's flavored? I don't know why. It's just that WAY.

I've already mentioned in previous posts about how I have to eat a sandwich around the edges and THEN eat the middle, right? Yes, I eat the crust first. My husband thinks I eat sandwiches like a chipmunk. Taking nibbles all around the edges. You see, on the edges you might not get a full bite of lettuce or cheese or tomato. But the middle? You have all the sandwich elements mixed together nicely. And THAT is how I want to finish my sandwich. With all the pieces in my last bite. YUM!

But that just brings up how I put a sandwich together. I put whatever spread is being used all the way to the crust. Peanut butter. Jam. Mayonnaise. Mustard. I don't blob it in the middle of the bread (like the Hubs). I spread it all the way out. I cannot watch the Hubs make the kids' sandwiches anymore because it makes me too anxious. He also [gulp] globs the meat in the middle. I want to pull that slice out of his hands and spread it out! ARGH!

My kids don't like the corner pieces of lasagna. They only like to take the middle or side. And it's not like it should matter as we cut it into bite-size pieces for them. But yet? They KNOW if it's a corner. I guess the corner pieces have more crunchy top noodles?

What I really can't stand is the idea of people drinking out of milk or juice cartons. Fine if you live alone. But if you live with people? E-gads! I'm don't hold back on throwing the milk out if there's less than an inch at the bottom. But why does it get to that? Why didn't the person who used it before me just toss it? What's the big deal about throwing that jug/carton out? Enlighten me people!

Do you have any food habits that are the norm in your life or in your family, but might seem strange to others?

No comments: