Monday, October 8, 2007

Homeowner mishaps

It's happened to us all. Things just HAPPEN in the house. Issues crop up. Items that may require fixing. It's a constant reminder that YOU are the homeowner. That you need to take care of it.

When my family came out to help celebrate the Princess' birthday, everyone stayed here at the house. My folks had the master bedroom (as it's the only bedroom on the main level). The Hubs and I were in the Bear's room. LilSis and Shorty were in the guest room. My kidlings and my niece and nephew were all in the Princess' room. TEN people in the house. Like I mentioned last time, I'm so happy the birthday party was not here at the house!

When my family was here, I had a reminder that I am a homeowner.
LilSis: Grace? The outlet up here doesn't work!
Me: The bathroom outlet doesn't work? That's weird.
LilSis: Nope. I plugged the hair dryer into this outlet and the one on the other end too. Didn't work.
Me: Okay. I'll look downstairs to see what's up.
I went downstairs and checked the outlet in the half bath. It's located just under the kids 2nd floor bath. It wasn't on either. I checked the laundry room outlet, which was right next to the half bath and it WAS working. Okay.... I went into the master bath. Both outlets in there weren't working. Aha! There is that little GFCI thingy. It wasn't on. I reset that baby and [cha-ching!] it worked.
Me: Try it now!
LilSis: It's working!
Thankfully, this was an easy fix. Just flipping of the GFCI reset button. But this week, we noticed that we were out of ice. OUT OF ICE! We have an automated icemaker in our refrigerator. And we were out of ice. Big uh-oh! I'd heard that sometimes the tube that supplies the water freezes up. And that would require a repair person to come out and fix it. I DREAD when repair people need to be called in. I feel so not in control.
Me: Honey. The ice maker is NOT making any ice.
Hubs: It's not? For sure?
Me: This morning, I took the remnants out of the tray and there's no new cubes in there.
Hubs: Okay. Why don't I just try to turn the switch off and on?
Me: Sure. Try it.
And you know what? It worked! I guess for some reason it got stuck and didn't make any ice. I felt SO relieved once that darn thing started making ice. You wouldn't believe it. Isn't it crazy?

My neighbor had a yucky thing happen to them today. The kids and I went for a walk before we were going to eat lunch. They stayed home today after visiting the dentist this morning. And I wanted to get them out to run for a little bit before we settled back in the house for the remainder of the afternoon. They were running up the block and I trailed behind.
Neighbor1: Oh no!
Neighbor2: What's wrong?
Neighbor1: Look in there? That's DISGUSTING!
Neighbor2: Oh my gosh. THAT is what I smelled this morning.
Neighbor1: What're we going to do?
People? My neighbors were looking into their extra freezer in their garage. You know the overflow freezer? They had just arrived home and the husband was going to place a bunch of stuff in the freezer. Apparently, the freezer was off. And seemed to have been off for at least a few days based upon their reaction. It's only been in the 90s this week, so it would have taken a couple days for frozen items to thaw and decompose. Can you imagine? You come home from a big grocery shopping trip and you're ready to put stuff away...only to find a huge mess? Yes. That's a dose of reality hitting my neighbors in the face. I know what THEY were doing the rest of the afternoon. I'm just wondering if they're going to keep the freezer? or throw it out? What would YOU do?

So homeowners....what's the latest mishap that's happened in your home?

No comments: