Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A sense of patriotism

Yesterday I saw a disturbing photo. It was snapshot of the Democratic hopefuls. And one candidate didn't look anywhere near patriotic. It was supposedly a shot taken of the hopefuls during the Pledge of Allegiance and singing of the National Anthem. Do we want someone who isn't patriotic representing our nation?

I am attempting to bring my kids up to be patriotic. To be proud of the nation that they have the honor to live in. And what comforts me is that both their schools are teaching the kids aspects of being patriotic. My son, who is in preschool, knows the Pledge of Allegiance. He knows that when he says it that he should put his right hand over his heart. He also knows he 'should' be looking at the American Flag. His class has a flag up in their room. They say the Pledge every morning before they "start" class. My daughter learned the Pledge when SHE was in preschool (at a different preschool than where her brother is currently enrolled). Once she started kindergarten (at her current school), she also learned "My Country 'Til of Thee". The kindergarten class learns to sing this after the Pledge from the second day of class.

And it's not about the kids just SAYING the Pledge. The teachers reinforce that the kids should be respectful as they say the Pledge. No fidgeting. No looking all over the place. They TALK to the kids about why they're saying it. What it means. How it came to be.

What I find interesting is that not all preschools/elementary schools in our country say the Pledge every morning. Does your child's school? For those of you whose child's school does not say the Pledge every morning, can you tell the school's stand on why they don't have the kids say it? I haven't come across a school where I live that doesn't, so I am just curious about the reasons why schools choose not to say it.

No comments: