Sunday, December 23, 2007

Happy birthday to you....happy bir...Uh...

Yesterday we drove up to see the Hubs family. His Mom's birthday was earlier this week and we wanted the kids to help celebrate her birthday.

We picked up the food and we got to my ILs around 2:30pm. The Hubs told his family that we'd be there by 3pm with the food. It was going to be a LATE lunch/EARLY dinner kind of situation. We got there and said hello. The kids ran to see my FIL. Then my SIL called up. Apparently there was an issue with her mailbox. Remember how I mentioned she moved? Well, the key they provided wasn't working. And she was trying to get her mail. Get her mail on Saturday? The Saturday before Christmas? Uh-yeah. So she was all worked up and on a mission. And finally was able to get someone to get her mail out. She JUST moved in. What kind of important mail couldn't wait until Wednesday?

Anyway, she was still at her house trying to get this all figured out. And it was 2:30pm. She was supposed to be there before 3pm. And she lives about 45 minutes away. People. She didn't show up until about 3:30pm. Yeah, we ended up eating without her. Again. This happened at Thanksgiving.

When my MIL was on the phone with the SIL, I took a walk over near the tree. And I decided to hussle the kids' presents into our car. It took about 3 trips. But I got it done. I was able to fit everything so that the kids wouldn't even know the presents were in the back. YEAH!

My SIL did finally show up. And she brought all the presents in with her through the door in a big ruckus. Uh... That definitely was suspicious and not discrete at all. My kids both still believe in Santa.

But my SIL finally ate. The kids played. Fun right? Then my MIL goes over to the stereo and starts blasting Christmas music. And then announces that we all need to go into the livingroom to open presents.

What the F?
MIL: Son. Come on over and open presents.
Hubs: I'm not the one you need to ask. [I'm next to him shaking my head]
Me: But the kids still believe in Santa. How are we supposed to explain all the gifts? [I say in a muted voice to my SIL who is on the couch 3 feet away]
SIL: Well, tell them he came early.
THAT is the response I get from my SIL that has no boyfriend/spouse, no kids, and 2 dogs. And NO the kids did not open gifts. My MIL opened her birthday gifts. I mean, that was the reason I was told that we came up there. We were there to GET the kids gifts and to celebrate my MILs birthday.

Needless to say, my MIL and my SIL were perturbed. They gave me the cold shoulder the rest of the afternoon. My SIL had a visible pissed-off look on her face on the couch. Okay, they didn't get to watch the kids open their gifts. But the Hubs and I weren't even originally scheduled to be up there at all yesterday. It's our year that we spend Christmas with MY family. So we were up there to get the gifts. I shouldn't be surprised that they had their own plans for the day without checking with me/Hubs. Typical.

But the Hubs had to get the gifts that my SIL had trounced into the house into our car. And he had to do it in front of the kids. I was able to get the majority of the gifts into the car earlier while the kids were busy. I mean, my MIL didn't even realize that the gifts that were under the tree were GONE. So now the kids SAW gifts from my SIL being taken to the car. [sigh]

Am I being unreasonable? I don't think so. Both my kids (almost 5 and 7) still believe in Santa. TOTALLY believe in him. They know Santa comes on Christmas Eve. My daughter is as smart as a whip. She's got a memory like an elephant. Seriously! So I'm just supposed to tell her Santa came early? Like she is going to believe that one. But I think that this is going to be the last year we'll be able to have the fantasy of Santa. And that breaks my heart. That I could go 7 years with the fantasy and aura alive. Only to have it messed up by some adults who want what they want.

I'm mad. I'm pissed. I just can't believe it. Just another reason not to like my SIL and my MIL. They just want CREDIT with the kids for what they purchased for each of them. And guess what? Before she got all wound up? My SIL mentioned to me that she wants to take the kids for about 4 days during the summer. Uh-right. I don't think so. Her one dog GROWLED at my kids when it saw the kids stayed at my SIL's house the last time. AND that same dog growled at the Prin when she was helping with the move to the new house. I don't trust that dog. So the kids are staying with my SIL unless that dog is at the dog-sitter for all those days. You hear about family dogs who are as sweet as pie and then suddenly lash out at the family. Knowing that my SIL's dog growled at my kids with my SIL in plain sight? NOPE. The kids are definitely not staying when the dog is there. Just another reason for my SIL not to like me. Because I'm protecting my kids, eh?

But I'll be in and out. We're heading out to see my family today. The bags are mostly packed. we've got some final items to get in. And when the Hubs and the kids are in the garage packing the car? I'll be in the house grabbing all the presents and putting them under the tree. So when we come home? It'll be like Santa visited us here too! We are bringing a couple gifts with us to my folks house as well. But every year we have the BIG present opening here at the house. I told my daughter a long time ago that Santa knows that we travel every year, so he brings some items to wherever we're spending Christmas. But most of the stuff he drops off here at the house because he knows we can't fit everything into our car.

And how is YOUR holiday going? You staying home and hosting? Or are you headed out on the road/airways to your final destination? If you're traveling today? We might pass each other on the road. If you see a family of four in a gold-sand colored Ford Freestyle? That MIGHT be us! So wave! And we'll definitely wave back to ya!

No comments: