Saturday, February 9, 2008

Another final step happened yesterday

Yesterday was the Bear's last day at his "school".

The Hubs dropped the Bear off in the morning as usual.

The Princess and I picked the Bear up at the end of the day as usual. But it wasn't an "as usual" afternoon. The two of us walked into the main reception area and the Bear's main teacher was at the reception desk.
Main Teacher: Hi Grace. How are you?
Me: Fine...How are you?
Main Teacher: I don't EVEN want to think about it.
The Bear was as happy as a clam (as usual) when we pick him up. He ran the length of the play area and jumped into my arms. I swung him around and nestled my nose into his neck.
Me: Did you have a good day, buddy?
Bear: Yup!
Me: Did you have good me-mes? --> me-mes is our word for nap
Bear: Yes I did! BYE GUYS!
He grabs my hand and waves at his buddies as he pulls me toward the door. We get inside the big room and another one of his past teachers is there.
Past Teacher: I didn't know today was the Bear's last day!
Me: Oh, you just found out?
Past Teacher: Yes! I saw it on the schedule today and I'm so bummed.
She took us into her room and she gave him a little car. He (of course) gave her a huge hug and a kiss on her cheek. This gal has been at the place since the Bear started 2 1/2 years ago. So she's watched him grow up and was definitely sad about his departure.

When we walked up to the main lobby area, his main teacher walked toward us and he gave her a huge hug. It was so sad to watch. At naptime, his teacher lays next to him and lets him play with her hair. As you recall, my little guy relaxes more easily if he's twirling someone's hair between his fingers. I think his teacher is going to miss this daily ritual.

I don't think the Bear fully realizes the situation as yet. But he will on Monday. I'm sure he'll have a withdrawal of some sort. But it was nice to see that the Bear will be missed. That just shows me how much they care about him.

No comments: