Friday, February 29, 2008

The circles of my soul

I had an appointment yesterday with the opthamologist. I haven't had an appointment in about 3 years. BAD! But I had to go in as my left eye has been bothering me. I've got a family history of eye issues. Actually, it's just my Dad. Not only is he nearsighted (as well as my Mom), but he's had blocked eye ducts (which required surgery), droopy eyelids (which also required surgery), and has glaucoma. So it's pretty important for me to get check-ups on my eyes.

Like I mentioned before, I am legally blind. When the big E on the lighted eyechart is in front of me? I can't see the E at all. I can only see the lighted eyechart. I'm on a totally different scale than you people who can say you're 20/200. For contacts, I'm a -11.75. For glasses, I'm at -15. So yeah, I've got really bad vision.

Anyway, I saw the opthamologist and it was good. He was a nice guy. He listened to my concerns. He checked my vision. He checked my eye pressure. He checked health of my cornea, eyeball, and optic nerve. Everything was good. He let me know that my vision hasn't changed really. My right eye has changed ever so slightly. He checked how I was seeing with my current contacts and my eyeglasses. He let me know that I'm seeing 20/20 with each of the devices. Cool! But he did give me a written prescription for both contacts and eyeglasses. This way I will be able to order new ones whenever I want to.

For the issue with my left eye? He did look at my current contacts and did confirm that I have protein deposits on one of the edges. He said since I was performing a weekly protein cleaning on them and that hadn't resolved the issue that I probably do need to get my contacts polished (as I mentioned to him earlier). The only thing is that don't do any polishing at that location. He had to give me the name/number of another place that actually does the polishing. Since I don't need new glasses, I decided to order new contacts. Since my eyes are bad I've always wanted to get an extra pair of contacts. It takes about 7 days to get a new pair. And if I ever LOST one, I'd be wearing my glasses for 7 days or more. It's just a huge hassle to get new contacts! So that's why I'm ordering new ones now. Proactive instead of reactive. Whew!

So now I've got to make an appointment to get my current lenses polished. And then go in hopefully next week to pick up my new contact lenses. Yeah! New lenses!

No comments: