Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cringin with embarrassment

Are you ever in a social situation where you cringe. Not for yourself, but for someone else?

Yesterday, I had a moment just like that.

We drove up and attended the Hubs' cousins' daughter's first communion. They had a gathering at their house afterward. All his daughter's friends were there with their parents. All Hubs' family was there too. The cousins' parents flew into town. The cousins' uncle & wife were sponsors, so they were also there. My MIL, FIL, and SIL were also there.

Let me first say that the school where the ceremony was held was packed. There were about 150 kids going through and each had a sponsor. That's 300 people already. Then with family and friends? OY! So it was standing room only. We were able to sit only because we were over 30 minutes early. My SIL? She came about 5 minutes before the ceremony would begin. I guess she was at a barbeque beforehand and the drive took a little longer than expected. What I found rude was the my SIL and my MIL were chatting throughout the ceremony. They were sitting right behind me and the Hubs' cousin's wife. I could hear everything the two were saying.

Oh, how was your run?
What's going on with your dogs?
Did you talk to your brother today?

I'd think they'd be more respectful and remain silent and concentrate on what was happening. I mean, they are Catholics and it was a Catholic service. But I guess that's asking a bit much, especially from my MIL. At the Princess' baptism, my MIL brought in a plastic container with a straw filled with water into the sanctuary. Yes, it was summer. But the service was only an hour long. She couldn't wait to drink for an hour? Um....I'm digressing...

Anyway, after the cermony we all headed to the cousin's home. It was nice. The family members ended up in the family room chatting away. The friends ended up in the kitchen and breakfast nook. We all were happy as clams waiting for dinner to be announced. Then...my MIL brings up the topic of surgery issues. When people end up having surgery on the wrong this? And I'll paraphrase this next part...

SIL: It's like that lady who ended up with a new anus.
A couple people: What? What?
SIL: Oh yeah. There was a lady who came in to have her leg amputated. When she woke up, she had a new anus. I guess they got her mixed up with another patient who had a sphincter problem.

At this point I looked around at the Hubs because I knew a trainwreck was about to happen.

SIL: Can you imagine what she said when she woke up? "I sure must have had a good doctor because my leg feels fine....but my butt sure does hurt!" [takes a swig of her beer and laughs] I mean, you've heard of people putting an X on the arm or leg that the surgeon is NOT supposed to work on. But how on earth would you mark this one? [laughs again at her own joke]

The cousin's uncle and wife looked so uncomfortable. I mean, there was DEAD SILENCE in the room. I think that my SIL was a bit drunk. Wouldn't put it past her to drink at a barbeque and then drive to another event. She always says she's fine. I wouldn't seriously be surprised if one day we got a call that she'd been in an accident. I mean, she's 36...so I'd think she'd be more responsible.

But yeah....I was cringing in that moment yesterday. That brief couple minutes of awkwardness. What was amazing is that it didn't even REGISTER in her brain that she was being inappropriate. That what she was saying was not even close to being a good bit of social interaction. CLUELESS!

No comments: