Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Get me some yummy-yummy

Halo Halo. I'd just LOVE to have some halo halo right now.

I'm watching Top Chef right now. The Quick Fire was to make a dessert. That's it. Some chefs made chocolate. One made a souffle. Traditional style desserts. But Dale? He made halo-halo. AND...he was named one of the top 3!!!! Wow! What's funny is that halo-halo is a totally simple dessert to make.

I remember making it as a kid by myself. The only thing that I needed help with is the crushed ice. You can't just use ice cubes. It's got to be crushed up. When we were little, my Mom would just get all the jars of stuff out of the refrigerator and crush ice. We'd gather round with a HUGE glass and scoop our own ingredients out of the jars. I never really looked at the labels on the jars. I'd just scoop out what I wanted. Purple stuff. White stringy stuff (coconut).

Now for you Filipinos out there. Do you use regular milk? Or do you use coconut milk? Or evaporated milk? We would use either coconut or evaporated milk. And did you put ice cream on yours? We didn't. But I know some friends who do.

[sigh]

Halo halo....it reminds me of being a kid. I miss that.

No comments: