Saturday, April 26, 2008

Such a sensitive guy

I've mentioned to y'all how sensitive my Bear can be.

About 15 minutes ago, I heard something outside in the front. I couldn't figure out what it was. It sounded like a scuffle or something. I rushed over to the front door and flipped all the switches which turned on all the front lights. I looked through all the windows and lastly I opened the front door (but kept the security screen door closed). AND....

I saw a bird sitting there under the light. Sitting and not moving. It was awake. I saw its eyes open and alert. But it was just sitting quietly there. The Hubs was in the kitchen and I called him over. The kids came over too. And guess who got all upset? The Bear.

Bear: Birdie? Hi birdie. You okay?

Oh...the tears came when he realized that the bird was injured. I told him that the birdie was probably just stunned. That he'd hit the window and was probably just catching his breath. But the tears continued. He then left for a minute. Then came back.

Bear: Birdie? You still there birdie? You hurt?

This back and forth went on for another 5 minutes.

Prin: Mom? The Bear says the bird has a broken leg. Does it?

[sniffle-sniffle]

Bear: Mommy....I love the bird....

I went over and looked through the screen door. It looked like it was standing fine now. But then I heard someone skateboarding down the street. Apparently, the bird heard it as well because it flapped itself silly and flew away. It surprised us (the Prin, Bear, and myself).

Me: See buddy? The bird was fine.

[hugging]

Prin: I'm SO glad. The birdie can go home now to its babies.
Me: Yes. It can now.
Bear: The birdie was scared of the people.
Me: Normally birds are, but did you notice that the birdie was not afraid of you or us? It must have known it was safe right there in the front of our house.
Bear: Yeah?
Me: Yes. You were talking to it so sweetly. It felt safe right there.
Bear: Mommy....I love that birdie....

But this time? He left with a smile on his face with the last of his tears brimming in his eyes.

No comments: