Saturday, May 3, 2008

Minor surgery this week

The Princess is going to have some minor surgery this week. On her mouth.

Remember that she has an extra front baby tooth? An extra top baby tooth at the VERY front of her mouth. On the right side of her mouth, her baby tooth is gone and the adult tooth has now fully come down. On the left? That original baby tooth is still there. It's loose but taking WAY too long to come out. The dentist wants to pull that one out and then get the extra one out as well. This way that 2nd front adult tooth can come down.

So the Princess will go in for the tooth extraction on Tuesday. And she'll be having her first experience with anesthesia. Yes. They are going to put her OUT. I mean, they're going to have to pull out the one tooth and then [gulp] dig for that 2nd tooth. What sucks is that she won't be able to eat Tuesday morning. She'll only be allowed to have clear fluids. No milk or dairy products. No citrus (acidity). Ugh...

Both the Hubs and myself will be at the dentist for this. He'll drive and I'll monitor the Princess on the drive home. I know that when my sister went under when she was little, she was NOT in good shape when she woke up (read that as vomit). So, the Hubs and I are going to experience this lovely event together. Oh joy! Thankfully, the Hubs is able to take the day off to help.

She'll be groggy the rest of Tuesday. That she probably won't want to eat anything. I'll have to buy some fruit pops and vanilla ice cream and soup to get her through the day. They say by Wednesday she'll be good to go. I'm not so sure about that but I'm hopeful that she'll be able to go to school.

What sucks about the extraction is that it is on a Tuesday -- SWIM lessons! I'm planning on having the Hubs drive the Bear to the lessons. The Princess will be in NO shape to go, but the Bear shouldn't have to miss it because of her.
This way the Hubs can actually see how much the Bear enjoys the lessons AND how well the Bear does. So I'll use the Hubs day off to the max.

Now have any of your kids had surgery to remove a tooth? How'd they do with the anesthesia? Any other warnings or recommendations?

No comments: