Friday, May 30, 2008

They're on their way [updated]

The kids are on their way home right now. My SIL is driving the two down. They should arrive around lunchtime. ARGH!

I've got a couple loads of laundry to do. I've got to run to the grocery store and get some things. I've got to clean two bathrooms (the master and the half). I did want to color my hair (THAT isn't going to happen).

Where did the time go? Ah...yes...the relaxing with the Hubs....

In about 3 hours? I'm sure the house will again be its normal lovely mess.

I really did miss the kids....

*************************

I headed out to do errands around 10am.

While I was out, I called the Hubs.

Me: Has your sister called you?
Hubs: No. She hasn't.
Me: So what time is she coming with the kids?
Hubs: Lunchtime.
Me: That doesn't give me a time reference at all. You should call her to find out where she's at so I have an idea when she'll be here. I mean....I'm out doing errands.
Hubs: Okay. I'll call her.

So he hangs up. And calls back 5 minutes later.

Hubs: She didn't pick up. I left her a message.

I go about and do my errands. Drop off paperwork at one place. Pick some items up from another. Then I stop by the carwash to get my vehicle detailed. There was dust all over the place. Crumbs. Actually halves of crackers. LOTS of stuff to vacuum up. I had a nice time at the carwash. I chatted with a few of the other people there...just shooting the breeze. Pleasant. Nice.

I get into my car and start driving towards home. I was going to stop by the grocery store and pick up some food for tomorrow's block party.

[ring-ring]

Me: Hello?
SIL: Grace?
Me: Oh hi.
SIL: We're here. Are you home?
Me: No. I'm not. I'm out doing errands.
SIL: Oh...well...we're here.
Me: Okay.

Ya'll, it was only 11:15am. Is that lunchtime to you?

LIKE I WOULDN'T OPEN THE DOOR TO GREET MY CHILDREN IF I WAS HOME?

Needless to say, I didn't stop by the grocery store like I wanted to. I pulled into the driveway about 10 minutes later. They were camped out next to the front door.

I was cordial. I was friendly. We spoke pleasantly to each other.

Some might say WHY didn't I just wait for them at home. Like I'm going to sit there [excuse the expression] on my ass with a finger up my nose waiting? No. NO. NO!

THIS is the reason why I call my family when I leave our house AND when I'm about an hour out from their house. This gives them an idea of when I started my trip. Then the second call let's them know if I'm either earlier or later than the guess-timated time. THIS way they can continue to go on with their day.

But that's my family. That's what we do. I guess I shouldn't expect my ILs to do the same. This is what drives me BATTY about his side. Absolutely looney-tunes! [shaking head]

Do YOU call your family to let them know the status of where you're at when traveling?

No comments: