Sunday, June 8, 2008

The Knucklehead reigns supreme once more

Last Saturday (May 30) we had our block party. Fun. A blast.

Turns out that my Neighbor Across The Street (NATS) only showed up for a short time. That Friday, the day before the extravaganza, we found out that NATS had been dealing with the stomach flu. Okay. Fine. But NATS wife said that due to his illness that she'd been having to do triple duty at home. She had to take care of the kids once she got home from her 50-hour a week job. Then she had to take of NATS Mom, who is convalescing at their house with her broken leg.

About 3 weeks ago NATS flew out to California to bring his Mom to the house. She lived alone and all the kids lived far away. With a broken leg and her advanced age she needed assistance. And NATS volunteered his home. What's crucial here? Is that she is advanced in her years and tends to need to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Yes she does. So during the workweek NATS had been waking and helping his Mom to the bathroom.

But with the stomach flu? He was just TOO weak to wake up and help his Mom. Who did that leave? NATS wife. The wife who already worked a 50-hour job with a 1.5 hour commute. So last week she had to get up and help her MIL to the bathroom in the middle of the night. This may be the reason I saw NATS wife drink at least 3 HUGE glasses of white wine at the block party. She needed to blow off some steam.

I guess taking care of her MIL and her husband and her kids were taking a toll. She did tell me that one night after her kids were in bed that she had to go to the grocery store because there was nothing at the house. That NATS was too weak to go to the store. Goodness!

Is it just me or is NATS a wimpy guy? Fine. You have the stomach flu. I had the stomach flu a couple months ago. The one that lasted about a week? Yes. It was horrible I felt nauseous every single day. I was lucky to be able to have one meal a day. But I still continued taking care of the house and the kids. Like who else was going to do it? The Hubs? He works outside our house. He didn't need to deal with a whole host of issues when he'd come home each day. A couple nights he did prepare dinner but that's it. I'd just fix something and then not eat. Simple.

On Saturday (June 6), my neighbor J who had been deployed for several months finally came home. When I was chatting with J and P I found out that NATS had another incident. Another one? Yes. I guess P got a harried call from NATS on Friday.

NATS: Hi P. Are you busy right now?
P: No. What's up?
NATS: I was hoping you could drive me over to Urgent Care.**
P: Sure. I'll be over in a minute.

Turns out that NATS dropped a brick on his foot. A brick? Yes. He's having a pool put into his backyard and there's tile and all that being laid this coming week. I guess he was cleaning up the area in the backyard and dropped a brick on his foot. P said it left a big gash and broke NATS big toe. Yes. He broke his big toe. I know what you're thinking. Knucklehead. And you'd be right. He IS a knucklehead.

And now? I'm sure that NATS wife is again pulling triple duty. As I'm sure he's hobbling around with his injured foot. AHHH!!!! I can't wait to see how NATS wife is doing this next weekend. I wonder how much wine she'll consume?



**The Urgent Care is less than half a mile from our house. So it's not a big deal to have to get over there.

No comments: