Thursday, June 26, 2008

Plip-plop-plip

There is nothing more unsettling than a sudden raging afternoon thunderstorm.

Our tree in the front yard looked like it was dancing in the wind. Branches were being tossed around to and fro. I was SO glad that the Hubs finally had trimmed that puppy up each weekend. A lot less heavy on the one side of the tree. Our tree had been growing lopsided for a while there. About 2 months ago, I asked the Hubs to trim up the heavy side. Just 3 weeks ago he started trimming gradually. He'd been just trimming the low hanging branches. I finally had to TELL him what to cut off. Anyway, I'm glad he finally got to it. Because we didn't loose our tree this afternoon.

But that storm BLEW in suddenly around 3pm. I watched our tree dancing and left the Hubs a message about how I was glad he'd trimmed it up. I went and got some water and played a little with the Bear. Then I sat back down in the office, which is the front room to the left of our front door. Our living/dining area is to the right of our front door. Anyway, I sat back down with a glass of water and was logging back in when...

Drip-drop-drip-drop...

Yes. It was raining outside. But the sound of the drips? THAT sound was coming from [gulp] INSIDE!

I looked at the window in the office and dag-nabbit! There was water on the window sill. I opened up the shutters all the way and looked up. Water drops at the top of the window. HOLY GUACAMOLE! Our window was leaking. And the wind was blowing right onto that window. Which meant the rain was driving right into that window. Which meant....

I RAN FOR TOWELS!!!

I came back and threw a towel on the sill. I then went back and grabbed a barstool and brought it into the office. I had to stand on the barstool to reach to top of the window. The water was coming in right at the top seam. Where they caulk the window? Right THERE! So I stood there with my arms up holding a towel. I didn't want the water to drip down. I wanted to catch it so that the water was contained.

I was freaking out people. Because the storm was still raging. And it was time to leave to pick up the Princess from the Y. What to do? What to do? I grabbed my phone and called the Hubs to tell him what was up. But he didn't pick up his work phone. I mean, I asked him this morning if he was in meetings today and he said no. So where the heck was he? I stood there holding the towel stewing in anger at the Hubs unavailability.

What to do? What to do? I grabbed my cell and scrolled and found the number of the development's long-term customer service coordinator (LTCSC).

Me: Hi LTCSC. I've got a problem.
LTCSC: What's up?
Me: I have the 2-story and we've got a leak in the front room. The office that can be a bedroom?
LTCSC: A leak? Where is it?
Me: It's coming from the top of the window. At the seam?
LTCSC: Okay. I can't do anything about it now. I'll come by tomorrow.
Me: Tomorrow?
LTCSC: Is 11 okay for you?
Me: Yes. That'll be fine. Um...what do you think I should do about it now?
LTCSC: Just put some towels down. Um...I'll see you tomorrow.
Me: Okay. Well, just to let you know...I work from home. So if you can come by earlier that's would be okay.
LTCSC: Okay. See you tomorrow.

Great solution. Put some towels down. Oy! We happen to have hardwood floors in this particular room, so I don't want any water getting down past the sill. If that current little leak (which is a big leak to me) doesn't get fixed pretty quick, it'll be a lot more costly repair. What a headache!

Let me tell you that the storm lasted for almost an hour. So there I was holding freaking towels up against the top of the window. I actually called the Hubs 3 times before he picked up. When I finally got a hold of him? He didn't even know that I'd called and left messages several times already. He was oblivious. So when I spewed out the situation he got all confused.

Hubs: Now, what did I agree to do?
Me: You need to pick up the Princess from the Y. NOW. Because I don't want to leave the window. I don't know if it's going to rain again or not.

Needless to say. He was a bit grouchy when he got home. But...HELLO....I was the one holding towels up against the window for an hour. I'm the one who was stressed out and dealing with the WATER. COMING. IN. THE. HOUSE.

[sigh]

So tomorrow I'll be chatting in person with the LTCSC about the leak. I'm going to point out to him some other minor wall issues that have come up since we moved in. A couple popped nails. Some corner seams coming up. Minor. Very minor in comparison to water coming into the house.

And how has your day been?

No comments: