Wednesday, July 23, 2008

I uttered my vows with conviction...

I was watching Oprah today and there was a comment that there should be a line in wedding vows regarding "Respect". It was a part of a really horrible episode about violence. Violence on women. Violence upon women from people that they love. It was very disturbing.

But that episode got me to think.

When the Hubs and I met with the pastor, I made sure to put my foot down on the vows. The fact that I did not want to say "...to love, honor, and obey..." I have always thought and wanted to say "...to love, honor, and respect..."

It was funny how the Hubs initially reacted to my wish (my need) to include the word "respect" into that line. He was kind of surprised. He'd always heard the traditional vows that had "obey" in it. So it's only normal (I guess) that he'd be surprised by my wish.

Hubs: Respect? You'd rather say that?
Me: Yes. That's what I want to say.

Once he saw that I was serious, he let it go. He didn't think too much about it. He was just allowed the adjustment to be made by the pastor. No big deal. To him. But to me? It meant so much more. That he and I would respect each other. We'd be here for each other. That there would be give and take between us. And this episode of Oprah really solidified a more sinister reason for my wish to include "respect" into my vows.

Now what did you say in your vows? Do you remember? Did you make any changes or were you creative enough to make up your own vows?

No comments: