Wednesday, July 16, 2008

If you do it daily, wouldn't you notice?

Today, the final repair people came to fix our house issues.

The stucco outside was finished curing over the past week. The drywall guy came Monday and Tuesday and fixed some wall problems. Now it was the painters turn.

Two guys showed up. One guy stayed outside to paint the stucco. The other guy came inside to do the wall near the front door and the LONG seam in the family room. That long seam? It's about 18 feet up in the air. Yeah...it's a 2-story family room. Anyway, the drywall guy had a HUGE A-frame ladder that he used to reach the problem areas. There were only two actual areas where we had cracks showing between the drywall, but the drywall guy chose to do the entire seam so it was a seamless repair. KUDOs to him for doing that.

So the painters did their work. I left them alone. I noticed when it looked like they were cleaning and putting things away. When the guy who was inside when outside? I walked over to the family room to check things out. I looked at the ceiling from one angle. Then I went and looked at it from another.

I found problems. I saw where the guy painted and that where he painted did not cover the feathering job that the drywall guy did. It was blatantly clear to me. So when he came back inside to have me sign the paperwork? I had to point out to him about 3 sections that weren't painted properly. He only painted from below. He hadn't bothered looking at the seam at an angle. When he looked at the angle? He saw exactly what I noticed. But wouldn't you think he would have thought to do that? I mean, he paints every day. It's his profession.

Do you think I was being a dud for pointing out the lack of coverage to him? I seriously would have rather point out the lack of paint now versus having to call those guys out again. So this guy had to go outside and tell the other guy (who was already sitting in the truck) that more painting was needed. They got the paint and the roller out again. This time? The one guy (who was outside) stood on the side while the other guy (the inside guy) repainted the seam. This time they worked together to ensure that everything was painted properly.

[sigh]

Would you have checked a painter's work? Or would you have figured that they'd do a proper job and not checked?

No comments: