Friday, July 11, 2008

More progress made

This week both of the kiddos were in swim lessons. BOTH OF THEM!

THIS week, the swim school had a "power" week. It was a week in between their regular 4 week sessions. So they took that opportunity to have a 5 day class. Yes. I was at the swim school every single day this week.

The classes weren't at the regular time that I have the Bear signed up for. Since I only signed up 2 weeks ago, I had to take what was left. The Bear at 11:30am. The Princess at 12pm. [sigh] Everything else earlier was filled. And I couldn't get them in at the same half hour time-frame. Couldn't. I had to settle for a hot time. Not only was it hot this week? It was humid. We've had cloud cover ALL week. And for those of you who know the desert, the cloud cover doesn't really provide any relief. It just brings on that sauna feeling. Would you rather feel like you're in an oven? Or a sauna? I would prefer an oven myself. I know that if I stay in the shade that I'm as cool as I can be. I'm not sweating. I do hate sweating when I'm just sitting in the shade. HATE IT!

The kids enjoyed themselves.

The Bear had an instructor that he'd never had. It was a guy that has a deep loud voice. And he is one who always challenges his kids. And he really did challenge the Bear to his limits. Made him swim on his own more than any other teacher has before. What happens with the Bear is that when he takes a breath he doesn't keep a steady strong kick with his legs. And because of this? His little bottom sinks. And then he can't get it back up. He then sinks like a rock. OY!

The Princess had one of her favorite instructors. Someone that challenges her but in a more soft approach than the Bear's instructor. She hadn't been in a class for a few weeks, so she struggled a little on the first day. But guess what? I found out today that her instructor is recommending she go up another level! Yes! Here is her progression -- Flounder -- Pollywog -- Goldfish -- Blue Gill -- now onto Dolphin! She has gone through 4 levels since February. She's never had to repeat a level. I think she's a natural swimmer. Fascinating, since my girl has NEVER enjoyed getting water in her eyes. I think it'll be good for her since it's more of an individual sport versus a team sport. It's something that she can challenge herself with rather than having other people rely on her to do stuff. I mean, she enjoys people. She loves her friends, but she doesn't do well with team sports. She just doesn't. She feels too much pressure. I mean, my girl used to cry when we sang "Happy Birthday" to her before we cut her cake at parties. Seriously. She would CRY. She didn't like all our eyes on her.

Anyway, it's been a sweaty week for me as I sit in the shade next to the pool -- for an hour. I send the kids into the cool play room inside while I watch each of them. What kind of Mom would I be if I didn't watch my kids at their lesson?

[snort]

I don't want to be the parent who sits as far away from the pool as possible facing away from it while talking on the phone for 30 minutes. I don't want to be the parent who sits reading a magazine and never looking up once. I don't want to be the parent who sits at a table reading and highlighting paperwork.

Yes. There have been parents like that this week. But to each their own, right? I just couldn't NOT watch my kids. Because every now and then? They'll look up towards the shady area and seek me out. And I don't want to miss them. Their smiling face. I want them to see me smiling right back at them. I want them to know I'm proud of their effort and progress. That I'm there. Watching them succeed.

No comments: