Sunday, August 3, 2008

What I got the kids for school

Before school starts each year, I get my daughter a new backpack. For the past 3 years, each new backpack has lasted the entire school year.

A simple feat? No. It's an amazing accomplishment really. You parents of elementary school kids know the ABUSE that these backpacks go through. A backpack is something every school-aged kid uses 5 days a week. Thrown in a heap on the ground. Dragged through dirt. Keeping their papers safe and sound in the rain (and snow if you're in a cold climate). A very essential piece of 'equipment'.

When the Princess started school, I opted to buy a basic backpack from my favorite online merchant. It outlasted the lunchbox I purchased from a local store. I actually had to replace the lunchbox twice while the backpack continued through the year. Sturdy thing it was. The Princess continued to use it through summer for the 2 weeks of daycamp. She actually could have used it for the start of 1st grade, but we started that school year with another new one.

So as we begin the start of 3rd for the Princess and kindergarten for the Bear, I purchased new packs. I again purchased items from that same merchant. This year? I got the kids a lighter model. Apparently, this pack is 15% lighter than the basic backpack they sell. And with my little ones? I might as well get ones that weigh less. What I like is that there are TWO side mesh pockets for water bottles or other easy access snacks. And the front has bungy cords where the kids can slip their jackets into. NICE features. Some might say that these backpacks are expensive. But in my own experience these last and last. I'd rather purchase one sturdy backpack that lasts 9.5 months than have to replace it two times during the schoolyear. You know? More environmentally friendly I'd say.

My next tiny environmental move is to purchase some small reusable plastic containers. Yes. They're plastic, but they're sturdy. If I used those little zip bags every day for the kids' food then I'd have a TON of guilt. But with these tiny reusable containers I'll have less guilt. I was going to purchase those Bento boxes but I didn't feel the need to go that route. The containers I found will suffice. I've got 6 square-shaped sandwich boxes and about 6 smaller containers. All I need to do each night is wash these out and repack them in the morning.

I know that the Princess will be interested in different foods other than sandwiches. So I'm going to pack her almonds, peanuts, grapes, strawberries, nectarines, cheese slices, cheese sticks, crackers, yogurt -- basically homemade lunchables. She loves variety and this way I can pack stuff knowing it's not going to leak out. I'm sure the Bear will opt for a safe sandwich (cheese or PB&J) every day with Sun chips & fruit. The containers will make sure his stuff doesn't get smashed and soggy. YEAH!

And of course we've already got our reusable water bottles. We've been using these for at least 4 years. Of course, the kids have SIGG bottles versus the hard plastic bottles. The Hubs and I still use the hard plastic ones though. No sense in getting rid of them. We only use them when we go out for a long walk during the summer or if we're traveling.

Now are you getting ready for school? Have you put any thought into how YOU are going to make small changes? Choices that are more environmentally friendly?

No comments: