Thursday, September 11, 2008

Almost the end of another session

Even though school started the first week in August, I continued swim lessons for the kids. This week marks the 4th week in the class. Next week will be the end of the session. It's been a good one.

Yes. Swim lessons in September. In an outdoor pool too! Ha!

The Prin was back in it after taking the summer off and dedicating her time mainly to Y camp. She's SO happy to be refining her technique and get stronger. The Bear has finally got his timing down taking a breath. He's been like a rock the entire summer. Sinking when he takes a breath. But he's been kicking more vigorously and has been able to stay afloat while he takes a quick breath. Yeah! This is a MAJOR accomplishment for him.

Watching the kids at lessons always makes me lament about us not having a pool. I mean, we don't even live in a subdivision that has a community pool. And I had to invite myself to other people's houses. But one day I dream of having one. But right now? I am SO happy that the kids have progressed as much as they have during this year's lessons. They both love being in the pool now. Remember how I told you that the Prin has never enjoyed water since she was a baby? I can remember at the beginning that she wouldn't even jump into the pool without holding an instructor's hand. Now? She's able to swim the long way (on a regular sized backyard pool) with ease.

But what's after swim lessons? I'm thinking about martial arts. Specifically, Chun Kuk Do. It's actually a combination of a few different techniques such as Taekwondo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Tang Soo Do, and some wresling thrown in. It sounds really interesting and I think the blend of a variety of arts would benefit the kids. Give the Princess some defensive moves -- wrestling/judo type balancing moves -- since she's so slightly built. Get the Bear some practice at handling his body as I'm sure we'll be getting him in some football in the near future. Both the kids are good listeners, so it'll be easy for them to concentrate on the intricacies of the moves.

Now what are your kids in? Individual sports like gymnastics and swimming? Team sports like soccer and football? What do you like best about the experience for your kids and you?

No comments: