Thursday, July 23, 2009

The rules kids put on each other

Listening to kids is so interesting.

But staying out of their "politics" is oftentimes difficult.

Granted. When we're on the playground I will most definitely step in when there's a stronger bully bothering my child. This Mama-Bear does NOT let anyone get away with that. I am my children's advocate and I'll be darned if some nasty kid(s) is going to ruin my children's good time. You know?

But when it comes to neighborhood kids in my house? I try to let the kids work it out on their own.

Big Sister: Ash? We're going to play hide-n-seek!

Little Sister: But I don't want to. I want to color.

Big Sister: Okay. Well first you need to play hide-n-seek with us.

Little Sister: No.

Big Sister: Well, if you don't play with us then you're not allowed to use all of the Princess' art supplies.

Little Sister: Oh...okay...
Yup. This discussion happened just a couple minutes ago. The older sister was making rules for her little sister. And I totally stayed out of it. Because I'm not going to mess with sibling dynamics. No way. No how.

No comments: