Thursday, September 10, 2009

Are you a loyal customer?

Just got back from getting my hair cut. CUT!

I usually schedule my appointments for 9am, which means I'm the first client of the day for my stylist.

I've had my stylist for about 3 years now. She's young (about 28) and energetic with 2 little kids (a 9 month old and a 4-year-old). I really like her because she understands my hair and she listens to what I want. Listening to the client, go figure?

Anyway, when I first met my stylist she was at the salon next door to the coffee shop that I like to walk to with the kiddos. The couple who owns the coffee shop live just up the road. The husband would get HIS hair cut from my stylist. And that's kind of why I gravitated to her. Because if a guy would continually seek out a particular stylist then that means something to me. Because the guys I know generally don't care who cuts their hair.

So time goes by. Maybe a year and a half? My stylist gets pregnant. Then she goes on maternity leave. When she returns to the salon there's something different. The next time I go to the salon, my stylist isn't there. I got my hair cut from the owner of the salon. And it was NOT a pleasant experience. She pulled my hair and I could tell she was PISSED. Just because she wasn't having a good day it felt like she was taking it out on me. The client! Thankfully, I received a postcard in the mail from my stylist a few weeks later. Turns out she left that salon and was at another one a mile away.

And I followed her to that new salon. Just up the street. I stuck with her. Because she's nice. Because she's kind. Because she listens to how I want my hair cut.

Now today? She was the first employee in the salon door and I was the 2nd one in the place. So it was just the two of us. And I found out that she's leaving this salon. Not 2 minutes after she told me, the receptionist walked in. So we went quiet about that topic. I typically put her tip on my debit card when I'm paying for my haircut. Today? I handed her a cash tip along with a card with my name and address on it. Because this way she'll be able to contact me when she's at her new salon.

Because I'm a loyal client. She's my go-to stylist. And I'm sure I'm not the only one of her clients that's going to follow her to whatever salon she lands at.

Are you loyal to your hair stylist?

No comments: